A common form in Germany are state bibliographies, which mostly refer to a German federal state , while regional bibliographies are created for parts of a federal state or even across borders (e.g. the Bodensee bibliography ). While the traditional regional bibliographies were very historically oriented, the aim today is to list the entire regional literature. In some federal states, newspaper articles are even recorded. The printed state bibliographies were usually divided into three parts: general literature, local literature and personal literature.
In Germany, the regional bibliography working group, in which all German state bibliographies are represented, met in 1983 as a separate group of specialists within the working group of regional libraries . This working group coordinates the work of the individual workplaces based at the regional libraries with the aim of greater bibliographical uniformity. Since summer 2001, it has offered an excellent comprehensive search option for dependent literature with a regional or local German reference with the Virtual German State Bibliography .
- Reinhard Oberschelp : The bibliographies on German national history and regional studies. 3. completely revised. Aufl. Klostermann, Frankfurt am Main 1997. (Journal for Libraries and Bibliography. Special issue. 67.) ISBN 3-465-02944-5 .
- Ludger Syré, Heidrun Wiesenmüller (Hrsg.): The regional bibliography in the digital age. Germany and its neighboring countries , Frankfurt am Main 2006, ISBN 978-3-465-03461-2
- Heidrun Wiesenmüller, Lars Jendral: Country information from a single source. Regional bibliographies as core modules of modern regional information networks . Lecture at the 95th German Librarians' Day, Dresden 2006 ( slides )
- Gritt Brosowski: The German state bibliographies. An overview of their work and offers . In: sheets for German national history. Vol. 149 (2013), pp. 429-462.
- Maria Elisabeth Müller u. a. (Ed.): Regional Bibliographies. Research data and sources of cultural memory. Liber amicorum for Ludger Syré , Olms, Hildesheim 2019, ISBN 978-3-487-15650-7 .
- Virtual German State Bibliography
- Regional bibliographies (lists the regional bibliographies in Germany and neighboring countries)
- AG Regional Bibliography in the German Library Association
- Litdok East Central Europe (includes countries and regions)