Richard Howell (musician)
From 1970 to 1973 he was a member of the band Gow Dow Experience ( sponsored by California State Polytechnic University ). Until 1977 he studied music at Chaffey College in California . As a member of the Chaffey Big Band, he was on his first European tour. He is decisively influenced by his teachers Don Myrick and Justo Amario , musically inspired by Cannonball Adderley and John Coltrane . Between 1978 and 1984 apprenticeship with Juggy Murry of Sue Records as a multi-instrumentalist, composer, arranger and sound engineer.
His first own band was the formation of the Mind , in which he worked as a bassist. He is discovered and promoted by Jimmy Smith . This was followed by extensive tours until 1995: In the bands of Etta James and Chaka Khan he played as a saxophonist at top-class American and European festivals ( Montreux Jazz Festival , Nice, North Sea Jazz Festival , London) and in US TV shows (Johnny Carson, Jay Leno). He has also performed with Della Reese , Cecil Taylor , Don Cherry , Billy Higgins , Willie Bobo , Bill Summers and Pete Escovedo .
In 2013 he played as a guest musician with trumpeter Christian Scott at the opening concert of the Berlin Jazz Festival.
Howell founded his own, independent production company (RCHowell Music) and is co-founder of the internet company wireonfire.com, which enables the worldwide distribution of the music of independent musicians, as well as the production and promotion for them.
Richard Howell lives in San Francisco .
- A Perfect Night in San Francisco 1998 (H&H Records)
- Outlyer 2001 (H & h Records, with Omar Sosa )
- We are all connected 2009 (Audioemissary Records)
- Burkina 2016 (Richard Howell & Sudden Changes)
Howell & Henry
- Start at Home Howell & Henry 2002 (H & h Records)
Media coverage (selection)
- Sonja Steiner: Ahlem musician Richard Howell attends primary school / The musician Richard Howell attended primary school in Ahlem with lots of charm and fun. Parents and the school's friends' association invited the saxophonist to a jazz workshop as part of the music and English lessons , in: Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung (HAZ) on November 21, 2012; last accessed online on December 3, 2014
- han: Culture / Jazz concert Participation is the order of the day / The well-known American jazz musician Richard Howell has already given some workshops in Schaumburg (we reported). At the Integrated Comprehensive School in Schaumburg (IGS) he got students interested in the world language of music, and in the Kesselhaus Lauenau he introduced children to jazz. There was another “workshop” on Saturday evening , on the sn-online.de page of the Schaumburger Nachrichten ; last accessed online on December 3, 2014
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American jazz saxophonist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1953|