|Serena Software Inc.|
|legal form||Private Corporation|
|Seat||San Mateo , California , USA|
|management||Greg Hughes ( CEO )|
|Number of employees||400+ (April 28, 2016)|
|sales||$ 219 million (2012)|
Serena Software is a US-based high technology - companies whose headquarters in California's San Mateo , in the so-called Silicon Valley is located. Serena Software primarily develops and sells software in the areas of DevOps , application lifecycle management and mainframe .
The company operates worldwide, employs over 400 people and has branches in ten other countries, including Germany.
Serena Software provides process-based solutions for the management and automation of application development , DevOps and IT operations. The company's turnover is generated through the sale of licenses, maintenance contracts and consulting services for its own products.
Serena has and has offered a variety of software products for businesses. These include the following:
- SBM (Serena Business Manager) - workflow management system
- RLC (Serena Release Control) - solution to support release management processes
- SSM (Serena Service Manager) - software used to manage service operations
- SDA (Serena Deployment Automation) - automation of software deliveries in the sense of continuous delivery
- Dimensions RM - requirements management software
- Dimensions CM - configuration management software
- Serena ChangeMan ZMF - change and configuration management tool for software development in the professional mainframe environment of IBM (z / OS)
- PVCS Version Manager - solution for file versioning
In 2004 Merant Software was acquired by Serena Software, which gave the company the rights to PVCS Version Manager . In May 2004, Serena announced the acquisition of TeamShare, the developer of the bug tracking software TeamTrack. This was later renamed Serena Business Mashups (SBM) and shortly thereafter Serena Business Manager.
In November 2005, Serena Software approved a leveraged acquisition by Silver Lake Partners for $ 1.2 billion. The acquisition by the private equity firm was completed in 2006 at a price of $ 24 per share. After the acquisition, Silver Lake held approximately 70% of the Serena shares. In October 2006, Serena bought Pacific Edge Software to position itself in the project portfolio management software market . In September 2008 Serena took over the company Projity, the manufacturer of the open source software OpenProj , which was developed to replace Microsoft Project .
In January 2012, the Serena Service Manager (SSM) and Serena Release Manager (SRM) were announced as finalists for the Pink Elephant 2011 Innovation of the Year Award. In February, the Serena Service Manager won the award. During 2013, Serena ran into economic difficulties. The company laid off around 175 employees to cut costs and increase its product margins. In July, the company's debt reached $ 410 million.
In March 2014, Serena announced the takeover of the company by founder Doug Troxel, who has since retired, and the private equity company HGGC. The acquisition was completed in April 2014. In March 2016, Micro Focus announced its intention to acquire Serena Software for $ 540 million. After approval by the antitrust authorities in Germany and the USA, the takeover should be completed in May.
- Corporate Brochure . Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- Annual Report for Serena Software Inc for Fiscal Year 2012 . Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- List of branches and distribution partners on the official website .
- HGGC to Acquire Serena Software .
- Application Lifecycle Management: Micro Focus buys Serena .
- Serena Software to Acquire TeamShare Incorporated . PR Newswire, May 19, 2004.
- Serena Software Named Pink Elephant 2011 Innovation of the Year Award Finalist .
- Serena Software Wins Coveted Pink Elephant Innovation Award for its ITSM Solution .
- Serena Software auction continues as Attachmate exits: sources , Reuters .
- Serena's Ownership Change is Complete , Serena Software Blog, April 21, 2014.
- Micro Focus press release on the takeover .