Stuart Jonathan Russell
Stuart Jonathan Russell (* 1962 in Portsmouth ) is a British scientist in the field of artificial intelligence . He is a professor of computer science at the University of California, Berkeley .
From 1978 to 1980 Russell was a programmer for a year at IBM (Systems Engineering Center, Warwick) and in 1981 he was a programmer on a graphics project at IBM Los Angeles Scientific Center. He studied physics at Oxford University with a bachelor's degree in 1982, was teaching in 1983 and research assistant at Stanford University in 1985/86 , where he did his doctorate in computer science with Michael Genesereth in 1986 ( analogical and inductive reasoning ). In the summer of 1986 he worked on the Cyc project. In 1986 he became an assistant professor, an associate professor in 1991 and a professor at the computer science faculty in Berkeley in 1996. From 2006 to 2010 he was head of the computer science department and from 2008 to 2011 of the faculty for electrical engineering and computer science (EECS). From 2008 to 2011 he was also an adjunct professor in the neurosurgery department at the University of California, San Francisco.
From 2012 to 2014 he was visiting professor at the University of Paris VI.
Russell is a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery , the AAAI, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science . Together with Peter Norvig he wrote the book Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach , which is one of the most cited books in computer science. In 1990 he received a Presidential Young Investigator Award from the NSF. In 1995 he received the IJCAI Computers and Thought Award .
He is one of the signatories of the open letter for a ban on autonomous weapons.
- Stuart Russell, Peter Norvig: Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach . 3. Edition. Prentice Hall, 2010, ISBN 978-0-13-207148-2 (English).
- Stuart Russell: Human Compatible: Artificial Intelligence and the Problem of Control . 1st edition. Viking, 2019, ISBN 978-0-525-55861-3 (English).
- ↑ Stuart Jonathan Russell in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
- ^ Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach. Retrieved June 16, 2015 .
- ↑ Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk, Steve Wozniak and over 1,000 AI researchers co-signed an open letter to ban killer robots -
|SURNAME||Russell, Stuart Jonathan|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British scientist in the field of artificial intelligence|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1962|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Portsmouth|