A test is a methodical attempt to determine whether the properties or performance of a thing , a person or a hypothesis meet expectations. The test differs from the experiment in that there is an expectation in the test that should be proven or refuted, while the result of the experiment is open or can only be assumed.
Different areas of technology and business use different definitions. Test is sometimes synonymous with quality or final testing, testing or measurement . The standardization organizations ISO and IEC define the test in terms of a determination. In contrast, DIN 1319 uses the term testing , which determines how far a test object meets the requirements.
In technology, a test is often understood as a verification , i. H. whether a test object behaves as expected under the most realistic conditions possible. The closer the test conditions are to reality, the more meaningful the test. It is not always possible to carry out a test under real conditions, so the conditions must be simulated as realistically as possible . While a negative test provides evidence for the presence of errors that can complete accuracy not yet been proven by a positive test often.
In cross-disciplinary quality testing , this primarily refers to the statistical test . The validity of hypotheses is checked with random samples . In this sense, test z. B. used in technical products or processes, in medical diagnostics or science .
The word “test” comes from the old French test : crucible, pot for alchemical experiments or Latin testum, to: testa = plate, lid; (Clay) bowl, shard.
- test on Duden online
- Walter Geiger: Quality theory: Introduction - Systematics - Terminology , Edition 3, Springer-Verlag , 2013, ISBN 9783322969248 , pp. 399–400 
- Richard A. Kass: Tests and Experiments: Similarities and Differences in: ITEA Journal of Test and Evaluation , Volume 29, 2008 
- Marc Stephan Krützfeldt: Methods for the analysis and testing of vehicle diagnostic systems in the field , Springer-Verlag , 2015, ISBN 9783658088637 , p. 38 
- Roland Felkai, Arndt Beiderwieden: Project Management for Technical Projects: A Process-Oriented Guide for Practice , Edition 2, Springer-Verlag , 2013, ISBN 9783834824684 , p. 182 
- Frank Koch: Handbook Software and Database Law , Springer-Verlag , 2013, ISBN 9783642555053 , p. 78 
- Günter Hachtel, Ulrich Holzbaur: Management for Engineers: Technical Management for Engineers in Production and Logistics , Springer-Verlag , 2010 ISBN 9783834893383 , p. 230 
- Johannes Köbberling , Klaus Richter, Hans-Joachim Trampisch, Jürgen Windeler : Methodology of Medical Diagnostics: Development, Assessment and Application of Diagnostic Methods in Medicine , Springer-Verlag , 2013 ISBN 9783642761492 , p. 16 
- Peter Robert Hofstätter , D. Wendt: Quantitative Methods of Psychology , Edition 4, Springer-Verlag , 2013, ISBN 9783642476532 , p. 4