|legal form||Limited Liability Company (Germany)|
Frankfurt am Main , Germany (Headquarters)
Hanover , Germany
|management||Jan Halstenbach, management|
|Number of employees||30 employees in Frankfurt am Main and Hanover as well as around 40 freelancers.|
|Branch||Specialized information service
|Status: January 2019|
The WTI-Frankfurt-digital GmbH (short: WTI) is a provider of scientific and technical information. Its target groups are specialists and managers from industry, research and teaching as well as students at technically oriented universities.
WTI-Frankfurt eG was founded in November 2010 by employees of the former Technical Information Center for Technology (FIZ for short). The cooperative began its official operation on January 1, 2011. In January 2019, the company's name was changed to a limited liability company (Germany) (GmbH). In the course of this, the company name was changed to WTI-Frankfurt-digital GmbH i. G. changed.
FIZ Technik was, alongside FIZ Chemie and FIZ Karlsruhe, one of the state-initiated specialist information centers based in Frankfurt am Main. It was the national center for technical and scientific information and documentation and was founded in 1979 as part of the Information and Documentation (IuD) program . The aim of this program was to create a decentralized system with various specialist departments. The central office for documentation for electrical engineering (ZDE) and documentation for mechanical engineering (DOMA) were the predecessor facilities from which FIZ Technik emerged. FIZ Technik consisted of two companies, FIZ Technik e. V. and FIZ-Technik-Inform GmbH. FIZ Technik e. V. in particular by the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) .
The WTI works across publishing houses and cooperates with various information providers. The spectrum ranges from classic engineering disciplines, such as mechanical and plant engineering, process, environmental and materials technology, energy technology, space and construction, to operational management, organization and management, right through to current politically and economically relevant cross-sectional topics such as Industry 4.0 , electromobility and IT security . With online-based research, information and analysis services, the WTI offers access to information from national and international sources. This includes publisher publications , so-called “ gray literature ”, research reports and other scientific papers, specialist journals and conference reports.
The specialist information is conveyed via company portals and academic libraries. There are also subscription services at flat rate prices, order research, dossiers and accompanying advice and training offers. For small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) or craft businesses, WTI offers a free knowledge base with materials and handouts from publicly funded projects on digitization and on dealing with ICT in companies.
Structured specialist databases and its own search engine (TecFinder) form the basic offering from WTI. The contents are summarized in tables of contents and short presentations and indexed with the help of a specialist vocabulary, the bilingual (German-English) Thesaurus Technology and Management (TEMA) and automatic procedures.
WTI products are:
- Databases and topic packages that can be used permanently or for a limited period at flat rate prices, such as B .:
- TEMA themed package "Technology and Management"
- "Electromobility" theme package
- Middle class materials
- TEMotive electromobility
- CEABA chemical engineering and biotechnology
- RSWB ® plus literature references for planning and building
- as well as on individual topics such as textiles, printing technology, management and organization, mining, machine and plant engineering, medical technology, materials, electrical engineering, automotive, environment and information science.
- Electric mobility knowledge platform, which was created as part of a BMWi- funded project
- Regular overviews of new publications on predefined topics (TecScan journals) by subscription
- Customer-specific information packages and dossiers (TecExpert)
- Support of in-house knowledge and innovation management with the help of analysis and visualization tools and the TEMA thesaurus
- Knowledge games (TecGames) based on the information stock of WTI
WTI's customers can be roughly divided into four groups:
- Industrial companies
- Technical universities in German-speaking countries or university libraries
- Research institutions
Employee and qualification structure
The total of 30 employees at WTI at the Frankfurt am Main and Hanover locations include engineering specialists, IT specialists and information professionals as well as freelancers who specialize in WTI topics.
Partnerships and cooperation projects
- The WTI works closely with the Technical Information Library Hanover (TIB) , exchanges information with them about content, methods and procedures and cooperates with them in a thesaurus and ontology project.
- Members of the Association of German Engineers (VDI) can access WTI offers at special rates via the association's intranet.
- With the consulting firm Hoffmann & Reif, which specializes in e-learning and knowledge management, she has developed a knowledge game based on the information provided by WTI (TecGames & TecAwards).
- The WTI also works with:
- Fraunhofer institutes and other research institutions
- Management consultancies
- other specialist information providers and discovery services
- as well as with the various publishers, from whom she regularly receives metadata to complete her databases.
- The databases TEMA Technik und Management and CEABA Chemische Technik und Biotechnologie from WTI are also available from specialist information providers:
The WTI is a member of the German Society for Information and Knowledge (DGI) . The former WTI board member Sigrid Riedel was also a member of the board of DGI as treasurer from April 2015 to May 2017.
The WTI is also a member of the Electromobility Forum.
- Peter Horvath: Online Research - New Ways to Know the World. A practical guide to using online databases efficiently. Vieweg + teubner Verlag, Braunschweig / Wiesbaden 1994, ISBN 978-3-528-05392-5 , pp. 6-9, p. 55 ( mentioned FIZ technology ).
- Kerstin Weinel: Successful research - IT. De Gruyter Saur Verlag, Berlin / Boston 2013, ISBN 978-3-11-029895-6 , Chapter 8: Article databases and specialist bibliographies reloaded; WTI-Frankfurt as a reference for the advanced search in the TEMA and ZDE databases. Pp. 62-65.
- Iris Reimann: Successful research - medicine. De Gruyter Saur Verlag, Berlin / Boston 2013, ISBN 978-3-11-030097-0 , Chapter 8: Technical databases; WTI-Frankfurt as a reference for research in the field of medical technology. Pp. 79-80.
- Annette Scheiner: Successful research - life sciences. De Gruyter Saur, Berlin / Boston 2013, ISBN 978-3-11-029899-4 , Chapter 6.2: Document delivery services; WTI-Frankfurt as a cooperation partner of the Technical Information Library Hanover. P. 74.
- Sebastian Ulrich: Dissertation: Dealing with disruptions in production start-up: Adaptation of selected methods of emergency organizations to the production start-up (knowledge, quality and process management). Eul, J Verlag, Lohmar / Cologne 2016, ISBN 978-3-8441-0450-9 , Chapter 3.1: Overview of the literature on the start of production; The TEMA thesaurus from WTI-Frankfurt as the source for the literature research for this dissertation. P. 52.
- Technical contribution by Kirsten Wegmann, specialist librarian at WTI-Frankfurt: Technology screening from literature reference databases. In: Karl-Friedrich Berger, Sandra Kiefer (eds.): Dichtungstechnik Jahrbuch 2016. Mannheim 2015, ISBN 978-3-9811509-9-5 , pp. 55–58.
- German Society for Information and Knowledge (DGI): WTI - a young company with many years of experience. In: Information. Science & Practice 2017; 68 (1): pages 102-103
- ↑ a b c d e f g h Interview of the eBusiness-Lotsen with WTI board member Sigrid Riedel , March 25, 2015
- ^ A b Password-Online: Research in TEMA and Perspektiven für WTI , from October 9, 2015
- ↑ heise online: Government austerity drives FIZ Technik into insolvency , News from June 2, 2010.
- ↑ Peter Horvath: Online Research - New Ways to Know the World. A practical guide to the efficient use of online databases , Friedr. Vieweg + Sohn Verlag, Braunschweig / Wiesbaden 1994, ISBN 978-3-528-05392-5 , pp. 6–9 ( preview in the Google book search).
- ^ Library of the TU Berlin: A success: FIZ technology takeover by employee company "WTI-Frankfurt eG." , dated December 23, 2010
- ↑ process.vogel.de: FIZ insolvency application: Innovative ability in Germany at risk , news from July 5, 2010.
- ↑ Ed. Kuhlen, Rainer / Semar, Wolfgang / Strauch, Dietmar: Basics of practical information and documentation: manual for the introduction to information and documentation. DE Gruyter Saur Verlag, Berlin / Boston 2013, ISBN 978-3-11-025826-4 , Chapter D3.1: Document delivery
- ^ Kerstin Weinel: Successful research - computer science. De Gruyter Saur Verlag, Berlin / Boston 2013, ISBN 978-3-11-029895-6 , Chapter 8: Article databases and specialist bibliographies reloaded. Pp. 62-65
- ↑ a b infobroker.de: WTI-Frankfurt eG announces new service offers , cooperations and strategic alliances In: infobroker.de , February 3, 2011.
- ↑ RSWB®plus - literature references for planning and building. Fraunhofer IRB, accessed on January 26, 2017 .
- ↑ Electronics Practice: Knowledge Management: Knowledge Database for Electric Mobility , August 28, 2012
- ↑ Electronics practice: Electromobility - the largest information and knowledge database is created. 18th July 2013.
- ↑ Information - Science & Practice: From the DGI: Sigrid Riedel new to the DGI board. Volume 66, Issue 2–3, April 2015, p. 102, doi: 10.1515 / iwp-2015-0030 .
- ^ Leibnitz Information Center Technology and Natural Sciences University Library (ed.): TIB / UB Annual Report 2015 . Hanover 2015 ( tib.eu [PDF]).
- ↑ VDI.de: WTI-Frankfurt - advantages for VDI members
- ↑ STN International: TEMA® database - technology and management now available on STN® worldwide
- ↑ Pressebox.de: Cooperation between GBI-Genios and WTI-Frankfurt eG (formerly FIZ Technik) is bearing its first fruits In: pressebox.de , June 9, 2011.
- ^ Forum ElektroMobilität: Members of the Forum ElektroMobilität e. V. ( Memento of the original from August 19, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.