Uganda grass antelope ( Kobus thomasi )
|A. Smith , 1840|
The waterbuck ( Kobus ) are a genus of African antelopes that are most closely related to the reedbuck . They largely include larger representatives of the Reduncini , reaching a weight of 50 to 290 kg. Only the males have horns. These are 50 cm or longer, in rare cases up to 1 m. They are bent back slightly and then turn upwards in a twist. All species are tied to life on the water and can be found in swampy habitats. They live in herds, the social composition of which varies according to the species.
They are divided into twelve types:
- Puku ( Kobus vardonii ( Livingstone , 1857))
- Kobus leche group
- Upemba litchi ( Kobus anselli Cotterill , 2005)
- Kafue litchi ( Kobus kafuensis Haltorth , 1963)
- Lechwe or Lychee Moor Antelope ( Kobus leche Gray , 1850)
- White-naped bog antelope ( Kobus megaceros ( Fitzinger , 1855))
- † Roberts waterbuck ( Kobus robertsi ( Rothschild , 1907))
- Bangweulu litchi ( Kobus smithemani ( Lydekker , 1900))
- Kobus kob group
Kob and Puku were occasionally listed in their own genus Adenota , just as the Letschwe and the white- naped bog antelope were sometimes in their own genus Onotragus . In the 1970s, however, hybridizations with other members of the genus Kobus were found. The Upemba litchi was only recognized as a cryptic species within the Letschwe in 2005 .
- Colin P. Groves and David M. Leslie Jr .: Family Bovidae (Hollow-horned Ruminants). In: Don E. Wilson and Russell A. Mittermeier (eds.): Handbook of the Mammals of the World. Volume 2: Hooved Mammals. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona 2011, ISBN 978-84-96553-77-4 , pp. 444-779 (pp. 671-682).
- Ronald M. Nowak: Walker's Mammals of the World. 2 volumes. 6th edition. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore MD et al. 1999, ISBN 0-8018-5789-9 .
- Jonathan Kingdon, David Happold, Michael Hoffmann, Thomas Butynski, Meredith Happold and Jan Kalina (eds.): Mammals of Africa Volume VI. Pigs, Hippopotamuses, Chevrotain, Giraffes, Deer and Bovids. Bloomsbury, London, 2013, pp. 120-606
- Colin Peter Groves and David M. Leslie Jr .: Family Bovidae (Hollow-horned Ruminants). In: Don E. Wilson and Russell A. Mittermeier (eds.): Handbook of the Mammals of the World. Volume 2: Hooved Mammals. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona 2011, ISBN 978-84-96553-77-4 , pp. 444-779 (pp. 671-682)
- Colin Groves and Peter Grubb: Ungulate Taxonomy. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2011, pp. 1–317 (SS 191–196)
- Fenton PD Cotterill: The Upemba lechwe, Kobus anselli: an antelope new to science emphasizes the conservation importance of Katanga, Democratic Republic of Congo. Journal of Zoology 265, 2005, pp. 113-132