Amédée de Noé
Amédée de Noé was the son of the art collector Louis-Pantaléon de Noé and an Englishwoman. The tall young man, gifted early on in drawing, received his relevant training initially from Paul Delaroche . After becoming a student of Nicolas-Toussaint Charlet , he devoted himself particularly to grotesque drawing . Amédée de Noé was a pioneer in picture history around 1840, following Rodolphe Töpffer . His first caricatures for Le Charivari, to which he devoted the main part of his production for 36 years, appeared in 1842. Since then he used to show the smaller events of the day to the public in fleeting pictures and provided almanacs , namely for the Almanac prophétique, for the Musée Philipon, but especially for the aforementioned Charivari numerous comic drawings, sketches , scenes and revues , which were later mostly collected as albums . Amédée de Noé was also active as a co-author of plays and as a librettist, for example for “Une martingale”, premiered at the Théâtre des Variétés (1862) and for “Le Serpent à plumes”, a comic opera by Léo Delibes , premiered at the Théâtre des Bouffes - Paris (1864). The bilingual artist also worked for English-language magazines. He died of tuberculosis .
- Histoire de monsieur Lajaunisse (1839)
- Monsieur Mélasse (1839)
- Histoire de monsieur Jobard (1840)
- Deux vieilles filles vaccinées à marier (1840)
- Histoire de monsieur Vertpré et de sa ménagère aussi (1840)
- Monsieur Barnabé Gogo (1841)
- Aventures de Télémaque, fils d'Ulysse (1842)
- Histoire du prince Colibri et de la fée Caperdulaboula (1842)
- Folies du jour: caricatures politiques et sociales (1849)
- Voyage de Paris dans l'Amérique du Sud: Poussé jusqu'au Hâvre inclusivement (1860)
- Félix Ribeyre: Cham, sa vie, son œuvre , Paris, Plon 1884 (preface by Alexandre Dumas the Younger ).
- Alain Lemoine Rodolphe Trouilleux: Cham, caricaturiste et humoriste: une oeuvre méconnue (web document)
- Ursula E. Koch , Pierre-Paul Sagave : Le Charivari. The story of a Paris daily newspaper in the struggle for the republic (1832–1882) . Verlag Leske, Cologne 1984, ISBN 3-921490-29-4 , p. 388f.
- Detailed article by Alain Lemoine Rodolphe Trouilleux in French
- Use caricatures by Amédée de Noé in HeidICON guest access
|SURNAME||Noé, Amédée de|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Noé, Amédée Charles Henri de (full name); Cham|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French cartoonist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 26, 1819|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Paris|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 6, 1879|
|Place of death||Paris|