Eye ring parrot
|Eye ring parrot|
Ring-eye parrot ( Forpus conspicillatus )
|( Lafresnaye , 1848)|
The eye ring-Parrotlet ( Forpus conspicillatus ), also glasses parrot or glasses Sperling parrot is a parrot art belonging to the arini (Arini) in the family of authentics Parrots belongs (Psittacidae). The IUCN assesses the population as Least Concern .
The ring-eye parrot reaches a body length of 12 to 13 cm. It is the only species in the genus with, in the male, a blue area around or above the eyes. In the male you can also see a slight blue tinge on the upper side of the wing. The rump and the underside of the wing is an intense royal blue . The female is pure green with an emerald green eye ring.
The color of the feet is brownish to flesh-colored, the beak is pale pink.
The range of the species extends from the east of Panama over Colombia to the southwest of Venezuela . The ring-eyed parrot is found mainly at altitudes of 200 to 1,800 meters, occasionally up to 2,600 meters.
Way of life
The dark ring parrot occurs in pairs or in small groups. It feeds on grasses and their seeds, on small berries and on fruits.
F. c. caucae is slightly larger than the nominate form , which is especially true of the wings and tail. The beak is a little stronger. The blue areas on the rump, the inner wing feathers, the upper and lower wing of the ceiling appear less purple, but more bluish.
At F. c. metae , the underside is slightly yellow in color. In particular, the green cheek area has a yellow tinge.
Frédéric de Lafresnaye originally described the ring-eye parrot under the name Psittacula conspicillata . Only later was it added to the genus Forpus .
- Forpus conspicillatus in the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2010.4. Listed by: BirdLife International, 2009. Retrieved March 1, 2011.
- Mike Parr, Tony Juniper: Parrots: A Guide to Parrots of the World. Bloomsbury Specialist, 2003, ISBN 0-7136-6933-0 , p. 174, p. 484.
- Joseph M. Forshaw : Parrots of the World Christopher Helm, 2010, ISBN 978-0-691-14285-2 , p. 252.
- Forpus conspicillatus ( Memento of the original from June 2, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. at www.papageien.org (accessed on August 18, 2009)
- Steven L. Hilty, Bill Brown: A Guide to the Birds of Colombia. Princeton University Press, 1986, ISBN 0-691-08372-X , p. 206.
- Forpus at Avibase (accessed August 18, 2009)
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. V. 34, Art. 11 Descriptions of proposed new birds from Central and South America (English; PDF; 2.4 MB) Original article
- Novedades colombianas, Vol. 1, No.6, 1961, p. 431 Notas sobre aves de Colombia y descripción de una nueva subespecie de Forpus conspicillatus ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective . Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (Spanish; PDF; 1.9 MB) Original article
- Revue zoologique par la Société cuviérienne, 1848, p. 172 Sur le genre Psittacula et sur quelques nouvelles espèces d'oiseaux de Colombie et du Mexique; par F. de Lafresnaye (French) original description