The Babri Masjid was a 1528 in Ayodhya ( India ) on the orders of Mughal emperor Babur built the mosque . It was built on the foundations of a Hindu temple that had previously stood there and was destroyed by the Muslim conquerors . According to legend, which has been documented since the 19th century, Rama , an incarnation of the god Vishnu , was born here 900,000 years ago . The riots that followed the destruction of the mosque in 1992 killed 2,000 people.
Controversies between Hindus and Muslims
On the night of December 22nd to 23rd, 1949, members of the Hindu Mahasabha erected the images of Rama and his wife Sita in the mosque . The general public was prohibited from entering the mosque. On January 16, 1950, the Hindu Mahasabha fought for free entry to the mosque through a civil suit. The court issued an injunction, according to which the Hindu idols must not be removed and the worship of these idols must be permitted. This day is later defined by the court as the day of the “status quo”.
Destruction of the mosque
In the mid-1980s, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP) accepted the call for the site of the Babri Mosque to be handed over to the Hindus. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) passed an identical resolution on June 9-10, 1989. On August 14, 1989, the Supreme Court of Uttar Pradesh ruled that the property of the Babri Mosque and its "status quo" must not be changed by any party.
On November 9, 1989, at the end of a month-long nationwide program of the VHP, the foundation stone was laid for the new temple building of the Ram Janmabhumi Temple on the grounds of the Babri Mosque. The Babri Mosque was first stormed on October 30, 1990 by volunteers from the VHP and the RSS. On December 6, 1992, 100,000 RSS, VHP and BJP volunteers gathered in Ayodhya and destroyed the mosque. As a result, a number of politicians were arrested and organizations involved were banned. On January 7, 1993, the central government acquired the entire site of the former Babri Mosque. The worship service for the worship of Ramas and Sitas has meanwhile been legally restored in a temporary temple building. This service has been carried out under the highest security precautions since that day. Muslims were banned from entering the site.
The circumstances of the mosque's destruction were the subject of an investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation , which charged 42 people with conspiracy. A commission of inquiry set up by the government has met since 1993, so far without any results.
2010 decided Allahabad High Court that the land of Babri Masjid equally among the Hindu organization Hindu Mahasabha , the Sunni Islamic Waqf Board and the Hindu group (which the construction operates the Rama temple) Nirmohi Akhara be divided should. However, the verdict was overturned by the Indian Supreme Court , which ordered a retrial. In November 2019, the holy place was awarded to the Hindus. The Indian government was also obliged to provide a plot of land for the construction of a new mosque.
The assassins, who attacked several luxury hotels and other public places in the attacks in Mumbai on November 26, 2008 and caused the deaths of 174 people, stated in a TV message that they were seeking revenge for the destruction of the Babri Mosque to want.
- Pictures: The Babri Mosque of Ayodhya , December 19, 2005
- Pictures: The Babri Mosque of Ayodhya II , December 19, 2005
- Pictures: This is exactly where the temple will be built! (The site of the former Babri Mosque after the mosque was destroyed), December 19, 2005
- Pictures: Reconstruction of the Babri Mosque , December 19, 2005
- The pogrom in Gujarat , March 31, 2002
- In the name of Rams. The destruction of the Babri Mosque in Ayodhya , January 22, 2002
- http://www.suedasien.net/bilder/wandel/wandel09.htm ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Atiq Khan: Court awards two-thirds of Ayodhya site to Hindu parties, one-third to Waqf Board. In: The Hindu . September 30, 2010. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- Neue Zürcher Zeitung : The Supreme Court in India awards the holy ground in Ayodhya to the Hindus . 9th November 2019.
- Hasnain Kazim: Attack on Mumbai: Protocol of a murderous campaign . In: SPIEGEL ONLINE . December 1, 2008. Retrieved May 11, 2011.