The Bergvogt , also mountain ridge or mountain judge , was a mining official of the first or lower instance of the administrator of the mines in the mining regions of the respective countries. As a rule, people from the lower nobility were appointed as mountain bailiffs by their liege lord, the count or duke. In the administration of mines , iron works and zinc works, other officials were subordinate to him. In many mining regions there was a mountain master instead of the mountain bailiff .
In Sweden the mountain bailiff was the chief mining official. In addition to the duties of the miner, he also had to keep accounts of the crown's income.
In Kleve-Mark in Prussian Westphalia there was already a sovereign mountain bailiff before 1632 who supervised the surveying and awarding of the pits. His tasks also included the control and monitoring of the mining taxes of the trades to the sovereign. He also took action against abuses in mining such as B. poor mining operations or overexploitation .
The administrator of the Eschweiler Kohlberg was called Bergvogt or Kohlbergsdirektor. He was also chairman of the mountain courts in Bardenberg , Eschweiler , Gressenich and Kall . The office and title were created in Eschweiler between 1521 and 1526. In September 1976 the old Bergvogteihaus ( Wollenweberstrasse 5 ) on the Eschweiler market was demolished.
- Mining Science Magazine. First part, Walterische Hofbuchhandlung, Dresden 1785
- Adelung, Grammatical-Critical Dictionary of High German Dialect . Volume 1. Leipzig 1793, p. 876.
- Social advancement. Functional elites in the late Middle Ages and early modern times (last accessed on June 4, 2012).
- Johann Christoph Stößel (Ed.): Mining dictionary. Chemnitz 1778.
- Carl Friedrich Richter: Latest mountain and hut lexicon. First volume, Kleefeldsche Buchhandlung, Leipzig 1805.
- Hermann Brassert: Mountain orders of the Prussian lands. FC Eisen's Königliche Hof-Buch- und Kunsthandlung, Cologne 1858.
- Matthias Kaever: Non-renewable energy sources between Maas and Rur. ISBN 3-8258-7424-9 .
- 150 Years of Eschweiler Local History Research (Part 1) filmpost.de via yumpu.com .