In basketball, a block denotes both the change in the trajectory of the ball when a defending player tries to hit the basket (also called a shot block ) and the keeping of the player in possession of the ball from his direct opponent by having a teammate stand in the way and thereby keep the defender away, so that the player in possession of the ball can throw or pass freely (also called a screen or pick ).
There are two types of blocks in basketball:
A block in defense (also known as a shot block) is when a defender prevents the attacking team from throwing a goal by blocking the thrown ball with his hands in the air or hitting it away. However, this is only allowed as long as the ball still has an ascending trajectory or the ball is not yet falling, i.e. H. has not yet reached or exceeded its highest point in the ascending phase. If this happens anyway, it is a rule violation, a so-called goaltending . In this case, the attempt to throw is considered valid and the corresponding number of points is credited to the attacking team. The decision on a possible rule violation is made by the referee (s) .
The shot block requires precision and temporal accuracy, since in the event of physical contact with the opponent during the attempt to block, the referee must decide whether to violate the regulations again.
Screen or pick
When blocking in the attack (also called screen or pick ), the player in possession of the ball is separated from his direct opponent in that another player on the attacking team stands in the defensive path and thereby blocks the defender away so that the player in possession of the ball can pass. This type of block is part of the pick and roll move that is often used in basketball .
- Most Blocks in a Regular Season Game: Ken Johnson (9)
- Most blocks within the EuroLeague in career: Fran Vázquez (249)
- Most blocks in a EuroLeague game: Stojko Vranković (10) on February 8, 2001
- Regular season
- Most Blocks in a Regular Season Game: Elmore Smith (17)
- Most blocks in one half: Elmore Smith, George T. Johnson, and Manute Bol (11 each)
- Most blocks per game in a season: Mark Eaton (5.56)
- Most Blocks Per Game in Career: Mark Eaton (3.50)
- Most career blocks: Hakeem Olajuwon (3,830)
- Most blocks in a playoff game: Andrew Bynum , Hakeem Olajuwon, Mark Eaton (10 each)
- Most blocks in an NBA Finals game: Dwight Howard (9)
- easyCredit Basketball Bundesliga: Player Records . Online at www.easycredit-bbl.de. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Basketball-Reference.com: NBA & ABA Career Leaders and Records for Blocks Per Game . Online at www.basketball-reference.com. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Basketball-Reference.com: NBA & ABA Career Leaders and Records for Blocks . Online at www.basketball-reference.com. Retrieved March 7, 2018.