Federal Office for Civil Protection
|Federal Office for Civil Protection FOCP|
|At sight||Federal Department of Defense, Civil Protection and Sport|
The Federal Office for Civil Protection FOCP ( French Office fédéral de la protection de la population OFPP , Italian Ufficio federale della protezione della popolazione UFPP ) is one of five departments of the Federal Department of Defense, Civil Protection and Sport (DDPS) in Switzerland . The BABS emerged in 2003 from the former Federal Office for Civil Protection (BZS) and was assigned to the DDPS with the Army Reform XXI . Today it has its headquarters in Bern at Guisanplatz 1B.
The FOCP is at the federal level for all aspects of civil protection responsible. It supports those bodies in Switzerland that are active in the prevention of collective risks and in incident management, in particular the federal agencies affected, the cantons and the partner organizations of the civil protection system (police, fire brigade, civil defense, health care and technical companies).
The FOCP has the following tasks:
- Further development of the civil protection strategy
- Coordination in civil protection in cooperation with other federal agencies concerned, the cantons and partner organizations
- Risk-oriented planning of protection, rescue and assistance measures
- Support of the leadership at federal level in questions of civil protection
- Coordination of research in the field of civil protection, research in selected areas of civil protection
- Operation of the Swiss Institute for Protection against Nuclear, Radiological, Biological and Chemical Threats and Dangers
- Operation of a central operational organization for warning, alerting and disseminating behavioral instructions to the population as well as informing the media and the population
- Ensuring training in civil protection at federal level, in cooperation with the cantons and partner organizations
- Planning and control of the protective infrastructure projects, ensuring the maintenance of the value of protective structures and maintenance of the technical systems as well as providing civil defense material, in cooperation with the cantons
- Support for the cantons and international cooperation in the field of cultural property protection ; manages, for example, the inventory of Swiss cultural assets of national or regional importance.
The following organizational units belong to the Federal Office for Civil Protection:
- the business areas conception and coordination , training (civil defense training ), infrastructure (responsible for protective structures) and support (internal BABS) in Bern
- the Spiez Laboratory in Lattigen near Spiez
- the National Alarm Center in Zurich (until 2016), as well as
- the Federal Training Center Schwarzenburg (EAZS) in Schwarzenburg
A total of around 300 employees work for the BABS in Bern, Schwarzenburg, Spiez and Zurich.