In 1982 he received his doctorate in nonlinear information processing at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics in Tübingen . In 1987 he became a research fellow of the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation ( Sloan Research Fellow ). Since 2010 he has been Lois and Victor Troendle Professor of Cognitive and Behavioral Biology at the California Institute of Technology . Since 2011 he has held the position of Chief Science Officer at the Allen Institute for Brain Science in Seattle.
Francis Crick and Christof Koch developed a theory of the neural correlates of consciousness in the context of the attachment problem . With Shimon Ullman , he developed the Saliency Map in the mid-1980s, which summarizes local facets of a visual scene that are selected for attention.
In 2007 Koch was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences .
- Nonlinear information processing in dendritic trees of any geometry. 1982, (Dissertation University of Tübingen 1982, 281 pages, 21 cm).
- Biophysics of Computation. Information processing in single neurons. Oxford University Press, New York NY et al. 1999, ISBN 0-19-518199-9 .
- The Quest for Consciousness. A Neurobiological Approach. Roberts, Englewood CO. 2004, ISBN 0-9747077-0-8 (German: consciousness a neurobiological riddle. Elsevier - Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, Munich 2005, ISBN 3-8274-1578-0 ).
- Consciousness. Confessions of a Romantic Reductionist. The MIT Press, Cambridge MA et al. 2012, ISBN 978-0-262-01749-7 (German: consciousness. Confessions of a brain researcher. Springer Spectrum, Berlin et al. 2013, ISBN 978-3-6423-4770-2 ).
- Let's stay open and see how science can develop a fundamental theory of consciousness. In: Matthias Eckoldt Can Consciousness Be Conscious? Carl-Auer, Heidelberg 2017, ISBN 978-3-8497-0202-1 , pp. 179-196.
- The feeling of life itself: why consciousness is widespread but can't be computed , MIT Press 2019
- Koch's homepage
- Literature by and about Christof Koch in the catalog of the German National Library
- No theory is compatible with everything. Die Zeit , No. 28/1998, p. 32, July 2, 1998, accessed on January 16, 2012 .
- Christian Schwägerl: Which ant understands Einstein? FAZ , No. 107 / page 48, May 9, 2007, accessed on January 16, 2012 .
- "My world and me" - conversation with Stefan Klein in ZEITmagazin, October 24, 2013
- Francis Crick, Christof Koch: A framework for consciousness . In: Nature neuroscience . tape 6 , no. 2 , February 2003, doi : 10.1038 / nn0203-119 ( caltech.edu [PDF; 155 kB ; accessed on January 26, 2018]). A framework for consciousness ( Memento of the original dated August 12, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Ernst Niebuhr, Saliency map , Scholarpedia
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American neuroscientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 13, 1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kansas City (Missouri)|