Dagmar Liechti-von Brasch
life and work
Dagmar Liechti-von Brasch was in 1911 as a subsidiary of the German Baltic landowner Arved Karl Leon von Brasch (1881-1953) and the Aarauerin Hedwig Alice Bircher (1879-1916), sister of Maximilian Bircher-Benner , in Estonia born.
In 1916 the mother died of pneumonia after giving birth to her fourth child. The father sent his three eldest children, Elisabeth Heim-von Brasch (1907–1996), Arved Konrad von Brasch (1909–1943) and Dagmar to Switzerland to live with their uncle Maximilian Oskar Bircher-Benner's family. In 1921 the father brought the siblings Elisabeth and Arved Konrad back; Dagmar stayed in Switzerland at her own request.
She studied medicine at the University of Zurich and was awarded a Dr. med. PhD . Her book on natural birth was published in 1942. From 1947 to 1980 she was chief physician at the Bircher Benner private clinic in Zurich. From 1953 she was co-editor of the Bircher Benner in-house magazine, The turning point in life and suffering, alongside Ralph Bircher (1899–1990) .
In 1958 she was in charge of the “ Pregnancy and Nutrition” section at the Swiss Exhibition for Women's Work (SAFFA) . Together with Werner Kollath , Karl Kötschau , Helmut Mommsen and others, she was a member of the scientific advisory board of the International Society for Research on Nutrition and Vital Substances, founded in 1954 by Hans Adalbert Schweigart .
She developed holistic approaches to hospital management as well as to the doctor-patient relationship . In her emphasis on the importance of presence for medical practice, she was inspired by Indian philosophy . She found her final resting place in the Fluntern cemetery .
- Healthy pregnancy: happy birth. Wendpunkt-Verlag, Zurich 1942.
- Felix Graf and Eberhard Wolff (eds.). Magic mountains. Switzerland as a weight room and sanatorium. Verlag hier + now, Baden 2010, ISBN 978-3-03919-162-8 .
- Marina Widmer and Kathrin Barbara Zatti: Between Birchermüesli and a philosophy of life. Dagmar Liechti-von Brasch, 1911-1993, chief physician at the Bircher Benner Clinic. Limmat-Verlag, Zurich 2008, ISBN 978-3-85791-567-3 .
- Eberhard Wolff (Ed.): Lebendige Kraft. Max Bircher-Benner and his sanatorium in a historical context. Verlag hier + now, Baden 2010, ISBN 978-3-03919-163-5 .
- Bircher-Benner Medical Center
- Kathrin Barbara Zatti: Liechti (-von Brasch), Dagmar. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Beatrice Eichmann-Leutenegger: Biography of the doctor Dagmar Liechti-von Brasch - loyalty and devotion. Neue Zürcher Zeitung , December 6, 2008
- Elisabeth Heim-von Brasch 1907-1996 - estate in the science history collections of the ETH library
- Ulrich Linse: Ralph Bircher in the 1950s and 1960s. In: Eberhard Wolff (Ed.): Lebendige Kraft. Baden 2010, p. 166.
- Michael Buddrus, Sigrid Fritzlar: Kollath, Werner. In: The professors of the University of Rostock in the Third Reich: A biographical lexicon. Walter de Gruyter 2007, p. 238
|SURNAME||Liechti-von Brasch, Dagmar|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Liechti-von Brasch, Dagmar Alice (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss doctor and nutrition reformer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 11, 1911|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dorpat|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 23, 1993|
|Place of death||Zurich|