Earl of Kendal
Awards and other titles
Although the earl title was bestowed as a hereditary title all four times, it was never inherited. The Earl's first, second, and fourth awards left no descendants upon their death, so the title became void. The title of the first earl third award was revoked in 1462, after he had inherited lands and titles in France and paid homage to the French king. His descendants carried on the title in the Frenchized form Comte de Candale and in 1621 received the French duke title Duc de Cendale .
The third award of the title took place in 1446.
The fourth bestowal title was bestowed on April 9, 1689, along with the Duke of Cumberland and Baron Okingham titles, to the husband of the future Queen Anne . The titles also belonged to the Peerage of England.
List of the Earls of Kendal
Earls of Kendal, first bestowal (1414)
- John of Lancaster, 1st Duke of Bedford , 1st Earl of Kendal (1389-1435)
Earls of Kendal, second bestowal (1443)
- John Beaufort, 1st Duke of Somerset , 1st Earl of Kendal (1404–1444)
Earls of Kendal, third bestowal (1446)
John de Foix, 1st Earl of Kendal († 1485) (title revoked in 1462)
- Gaston II. De Foix, 2nd Comte de Candale († 1500)
- Gaston III. de Foix, 3rd Comte de Candale († 1536)
- Frédéric de Foix, 4th Comte de Candale († 1571)
- Henri de Foix, 5th Comte de Candale († 1572)
- Marguerite de Foix, 6th Comtesse de Candale (1567–1593), ⚭ 1587 Jean Louis de Nogaret de La Valette, Duc d'Epernon (1554–1642)
- Henri de Nogaret de La Valette, 7th Comte de Candale (1591–1639) (promoted to Duc de Candale in 1621 , this title expired on his death)
- Bernard de Nogaret de La Valette d'Épernon , 8th Comte de Candale, Duc d'Epernon (1592–1661) (promoted to Duc de La Valette in 1622 )
- Louis-Charles de Nogaret de Foix , Duc de La Vallette et de Candale (1627–1658)
Earls of Kendal, fourth bestowal (1689)
- George of Denmark, 1st Duke of Cumberland , 1st Earl of Kendal (1653–1708)
- Charles Kidd, David Williamson (Editor): Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage. St Martin's Press, New York 1990.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Page