There is almost only Swedish literature on Ewerdt Friis. After that he is said to have trained as a carver with Hans Gudewerdt the Elder (1570–1642) and Hans Gudewerdt the Younger (1593 / 1600–1671) in Eckernförde and to have worked as a journeyman in the Gudewerdt's sculpting workshops. In the Swedish-language literature u. a. pointed out that the works of Ewerdt Friis show typical features of the Gudewerdt school of sculpture, such as the baroque cartilage style developed there . Rabén recognizes a close connection to Hans Gudewerdt the Younger , especially in Friis' use of the Eckernförde ornament selection and the vine column. Behling also points out that Friis' altarpiece in Askersund is "a direct, only slightly varied repetition ..." of the "... Epitaphes for Councilor Hinrich Ripenauw" made by Hans Gudewerdt the Younger around 1650/51. represent. Above all, he is considering a station as a journeyman in the years around 1650. The archive material in Eckernförde shows gaps, especially with regard to immigrant journeymen, so that no conclusive information can be given about the period of time Ewerdt Friis belonged to the Gudewerdt carving company. Friis is counted among the carving artists of the Eckernförde carving school .
After 1650 Ewerdt Friis emigrated to Sweden , where he probably lived in Gävle (where he is buried) or at least in the vicinity of Gävle. There Friis initially worked for the Swedish master Jons Gøstafson (also: Jöns Gustafsson ). Friis became one of the most important carvers in central Sweden. Basically he made pulpits, but also some altars and other things.
Ewerdt Friis' decorations are masterful, while his figures show a certain rigidity and monumentality in form. In 1934, Rabén judged that Friis had even more of a capacity for monumentality than Hans Gudewerdt II, but was otherwise inferior to him. The later gilding or painting of some of his works of art impaired artistic expression.
- Heliga Trefaldighets kyrka , Gävle (1662)
- Askersunds landskyrka , Askersund , former province of Närke (1664)
- Kristine kyrka , Falun (1665–1669)
- Kristine kyrka , Falun (1655–1656; nA together with Jöns Gustafsson)
- Heliga Trefaldighets kyrka , Gävle, (1657)
- Hille kyrka , Hille, Gästrikland (1657)
- Ovansjö kyrka , Kungsgården, Gästrikland (1662)
- Hedesunda kyrka , Hedesunda, Gästrikland (1666)
- Askersunds landskyrka , Askersund (1667)
- Choir grid of the Heliga Trefaldighets kyrka in Gävle (1665), an epitaph there a. a.
- Svenskt Konstnärslexikon Volume 2, Allhems Förlag, Malmö 1953, p. 247
- Weilbach's Kunstnerleksikon , 1947 ( digitized version )
- Bengt Cnattingius: Mellansvenska barockpredikstolar In: Svenskt Gudstjänstliv 9, 2015, p. 182 ff. ( Digitized version ).
- Bengt Cnattingius: Bibeln och den svenska kyrkokonsten In: Svenskt Gudstjänstliv 13, 2015, pp. 145 ff. ( Digitized version ).
- Holger Behling: Hans Gudewerdt the Younger, carver in Eckernförde . Karl Wachholtz Verlag, Neumünster 1990
- H. Rabén: Träskulptur och snickarkonst i Uppsverige under renässans och barock intill the prechtska style genombrott . Stockholm 1934
Individual references and notes
- Rabén, p. 261
- Behling, page 136
- there is only a list of the years 1660 to 1685; Ref .: Willers Jessen: Hans Gudewerdt and the Eckernförde carving school with their masters Ciriacus Dirkes, Hans Dreyer, Hans Gudewerdt I, Hans Gudewerdt II, Hans Gudewerdt III, Lorentz Jories, Jürgen Koberch, Peter Neelsen , JC Schwensen-Verlag, Eckernförde 1931, Page 19
- Rabén, p. 261
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Friis, Ewert|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Sculptor and wood carver|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1619|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bredstedt|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 10, 1672|
|Place of death||Gävle|