The Fasti by Publius Ovidius Naso are a poem written in elegiac distich in the tradition of the ancient didactic poem . Its subject is the feast days of the Roman calendar , which are dealt with in chronological order, with one book corresponding to each month. The origin and religious background are dealt with on the festive days, which makes the Fasti a unique source for the Roman religion . The title of the work refers to the often handed down list-like calendar compilations called Fasti .
The work has remained a fragment. Of the twelve books planned, only six have survived. The completion of the work was probably interrupted by Augustus' banishment of the author . In the exile in Tomoi a revision of the existing books was started, but this only flourished up to Book I.
- Franz Bömer (Ed.): Publius Ovidius Naso. The fasts. 2 vol., Heidelberg 1957-1958. Text, translation and commentary
- Elaine Fantham (Ed.): Ovid, Fasti Book IV. Cambridge 1998, ISBN 0-521-44538-8
- James George Frazer (Ed.): Publius Ovidius Naso. 5. Fasti. Loeb Classical Library 253 . London 1929. With English translation and commentary. 2nd ed. Harvard University Press , Cambridge, Mass. 1989, ISBN 0-674-99279-2
- Wolfgang Gerlach (Ed.): Publius Ovidius Naso. Fasti. Festival calendar of Rome , Munich 1960. Text, translation, notes
- EH Alton / DEW Wormell / E. Courtney (Ed.), P. Ovidi Nasonis, Fastorum libri sex , Leipzig 1986 ( Bibliotheca Teubneriana )
- Publius Ovidius Naso festival calendar. Translated to the correct measure of the original and accompanied by notes by Karl Geib. Palmsche Buchhandlung, Erlangen 1828, http: //vorlage_digitalisat.test/1%3D~GB%3DhrIWAAAAYAAJ~IA%3D~MDZ%3D%0A~SZ%3D~doppelseiten%3D~LT%3D~PUR%3D
- Elaine Fantham: Recent Readings of Ovid's Fasti. In: Classical Philology 90, 1995, pp. 367-378
- Geraldine Herbert-Brown: Ovid and the "Fasti": an historical study. Clarendon Press, Oxford 1994, ISBN 0-19-814935-2
- Carole E. Newlands: Playing with Time. Ovid and the Fasti. Cornell University Press, Ithaca 1995, ISBN 0-8014-3080-1
- Fasti - Latin text in the Perseus Project (edition by Frazer)
- Fasti - Latin text in the Bibliotheca Augustana
- Fasti - English translation
- Bömer: Die Fasten Vol. 1, 1957, pp. 18f., 39-21