Georg Benno Gruber
Gruber was born the son of a general practitioner. After receiving his doctorate in Munich in 1909 under the direction of Friedrich von Müller and Erich Meyer , Gruber spent his apprenticeship years with the pathologists Otto von Bollinger , Siegfried Oberndorfer , Hermann Dürck and Paul Ernst and with the hygienist Max von Gruber . From 1913 to 1917 Gruber was an assistant to Hans Chiari in Strasbourg. He completed his habilitation there with a thesis "On the histology and pathogenesis of circumscribed muscle ossification". During the First World War, Gruber was assigned to the Heidelberg pathologist Paul Ernst as a military assistant doctor.
From Heidelberg, Gruber took over the management of the pathological institute of the municipal hospitals in Mainz. In 1923 he accepted an appointment as full professor at the University of Innsbruck . From there he came to Göttingen in 1928 as the successor to Eduard Kaufmann (1860–1931), where he worked as director of the Pathological Institute until his retirement in 1946. Gruber became a member of the SA in 1933. In 1935 he was elected a full member of the Göttingen Academy of Sciences .
- Paracelsus Medal (1962)
- Member of the Leopoldina
- Decoration of honor of the German Red Cross
- Albrecht von Haller Medal
- Literature by and about Georg Benno Gruber in the catalog of the German National Library
- Karl Arndt, Gerhard Gottschalk, Rudolf Smend, Ruth Slenczka: Göttingen scholars: the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen in portraits and appreciations 1751-2001, volume 1. Wallstein Verlag 2001, page 460
- Wolfgang Bialas, Lothar Fritze : Ideology and Morality in National Socialism. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht 2013, page 220 (to relativize the taboo of euthanasia during the Third Reich through medical opinion-formers - example: GB Gruber).
- Wilhelm Doerr: Georg Benno Gruber and the concept of illness . Problem history of critical questions. Publications from the Research Center for Theoretical Pathology of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences 1987, pages 63-73
- Lower Saxony State and University Library Göttingen Estate of Georg Benno Gruber - physician, pathologist, medical historian (1884–1977)
- Martin Mattulat. Medical ethics from a historical perspective: On the change in medical moral concepts in the work of Georg Benno Gruber (1884–1977). Stuttgart: Franz Steiner, 2007. 187 pp. ISBN 978-3-515-08863-3 .
- W. Wepler: Georg Benno Gruber (February 22, 1884 to July 20, 1977), Verh Dtsch Ges Pathol. 1978; 62: 560-72.
- Richard Weikart: Review of Mattulat, Martin, Medical Ethics in a Historical Perspective: On the Change in Medical Moral Concepts in the Work of Georg Benno Gruber (1884–1977) . H-German, H-Net Reviews. January, 2009
- Holger Krahnke: The members of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen 1751-2001 (= Treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Philological-Historical Class. Volume 3, Vol. 246 = Treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Mathematical-Physical Class. Episode 3, vol. 50). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2001, ISBN 3-525-82516-1 , p. 98.
|SURNAME||Gruber, Georg Benno|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German pathologist, medical historian and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 22, 1884|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Giesing|
|DATE OF DEATH||20th July 1977|