Milios studied mechanical engineering at the TU Darmstadt from 1971 to 1976 . He then continued his studies in this subject at the National Technical University of Athens , where he received his doctorate in 1981. From 1985 to 1988 he studied economics at the University of Osnabrück , which he also completed with a doctorate.
In 1982 he and others founded the quarterly magazine “Thesen” (gr. Θέσεις), which deals with questions of economic and state theory and which he still directs today. His numerous publications deal with economic theory and Marxism .
Milios is a professor at the National Technical University of Athens and is considered one of the country's leading Marxist economists. Politically, he emerged from the KKE Esoterikoú (KP Inland), a eurocommunist split from the Communist Party of Greece , and became one of the leading economic politicians of the SYRIZA party . Syriza - an electoral alliance of small left parties from 2004 to 2012 and a party since then - won the general election on January 25, 2015 . The party leader Alexis Tsipras became Greek Prime Minister. Many expected Milios to become Minister of Economy. However, Tsipras appointed Yanis Varoufakis , later Efklidis Tsakalotos, as finance minister.
Milios criticized the Greek government policy since February 2015. At the end of March, he resigned as chief economist and was not nominated for the Political Secretariat , a high-level Syriza body.
- Capitalist Development, Nation State and Imperialism. The case of Greece. Dissertation, Univ. Osnabrück 1988
- (with Dimitri Dimoulis; George Economakis): Karl Marx and the Classics. An Essay on Value, Crises and the Capitalist Mode of Production Ashgate, 2002, ISBN 978-0-7546-1798-3 .
- (with DP Sotiropoulos): Rethinking Imperialism. A Study of Capitalist Rule. Palgrave-Macmillan, 2009, ISBN 978-0-230-22100-0 .
- (with Dimitris P. Sotiropoulos & Spyros Lapatsioras): A Political Economy of Contemporary Capitalism and its Crisis. Demystifying Finance. Routledge, 2013 + 2015 ( ISBN 978-1-138-90111-7 ).
- (Ed.) 150 years of Karl Marx's “Capital”. Reflections for the 21st century. Rosa Luxemburg Foundation, 2018.
- The Origins of Capitalism as a Social System. The Prevalence of an Aleatory Encounter. London and New York: Routledge, 2018.
- Profile on the website of the National Book Center
- official website
- Γιάννης Μηλιός, Καθηγητής Πολιτικής Οικονομίας ΕΜΠ
- Milios: Together, we can put an end to the problems of debt and austerity in Europe! - Speech of April 12, 2014
- Election in Greece “The Germans should look forward to Syriza” - berliner-zeitung.de, accessed on February 17, 2017
Jean Milios: Capitalist Development, Nation State and Imperialism. The case of Greece. Dissertation, Osnabrück 1988.
Jean Milios: The Marxian concept of the Asian mode of production and the theoretical impossibility of a philosophy of history. In: Contributions to Marx-Engels research. New episode 1997, pp. 101-113.
Ingo Elbe: Marx in the West. The new Marx reading in the Federal Republic since 1965. Akademie Verlag, Berlin 2010, p. 408.
Jan Hoff: Marx global. On the development of the international Marx discourse since 1965. Akademie Verlag, Berlin 2009, pp. 27, 69, 166, 221.
Jannis Milios: Die Marxsche Wertheorie und Geld. In defense of the thesis on the endogenous character of money. Paper for the conference Problems of Money , March 2004, Marx Society; Printed in: Contributions to Marx-Engels Research. New series 2004, p. 95.
Spyros Lapatsioras, Jannis Milios: On the concept of money from floor plans to capital - shifts. In: Contributions to Marx-Engels research. New series 2010, pp. 43–57.
Dario Stefano Dell'Aquila, Stephan Kaufmann, Jannis Milios: Blackbox ECB. Power and impotence of the European Central Bank. "Materials" series, Rosa Luxemburg Foundation, July 2014.
Yannis Milios: "It is necessary to restructure the Eurozone's sovereign debt" , European-Left.org, January 26, 2015.
Stephan Detjen: Syriza chief economist in Berlin - "We can implement our program" , Deutschlandfunk, January 12, 2015 .
Yiannis Milios: SYRIZA will not run deficits , TheTOC.gr, December 28, 2014.
Philip Chrysopoulos: BoA, Merrill Lynch, Capital Analysts on SYRIZA's Economic Plan , Greek Reporter, November 27, 2014.
Yiannis Milios, Yiannis Baboulias: Can the Left Save Greece? New Left Project, January 11, 2013.
Silke Wettach: Tsipras confidante Yiannis Milios - "We are ready for negotiations" Economic Week (online), January 12, 2015.
Yiannis Milios - Economic Advisor of the Syriza Party, Greece , BBC Hard Talk, May 31, 2012.
- Profile on the website of the National Book Center , according to other sources on Chios ( page no longer available , search in web archives: politischios.gr )
- Dissertation: Capitalist Development, National State and Imperialism: The Case of Greece
- theseis.com (Greek). Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- spiegel.de March 20, 2015: John Milios replaced: Syriza takes over chief economist
- euobserver March 21, 2015: Tsipras' economic policy architect resigns
- Αυτή είναι η κυβέρνηση της Αριστεράς newpost.gr, November 11, 2012
- Peter Blickle : The Revolution of 1525 , Oldenbourg 2004, ISBN 978-3-486-44264-9 , page 228
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Γιάννης, Μηλιός (Greek); Milios, John|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Greek economist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1952|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Athens|