Great Wall Station
The Great Wall Station ( Chinese 长城 站 , Pinyin Chángchéng Zhàn ; long form 中国 南极 长城 站 , Zhōngguó Nánjí Chángchéng Zhàn , English Chinese Antarctic Great Wall Station ), international Great Wall Station , is the first research station of the People's Republic of China in the Antarctic and opened on February 20, 1985 . It is located on King George Island , part of the South Shetland Islands , 960 km from Cape Horn and 130 km north of the Antarctic Peninsula .
The station was built on a stable, ice-free rock surface, about ten meters above sea level. In summer there are usually up to 40 people here, in winter the average population is 14.
The station consists of a total of ten buildings with a total area of 2643 m². In addition to the residential buildings and the buildings used for scientific research, there are u. a. Leisure and sports facilities, an office building, a building for the energy supply and one for communication facilities.
Electricity is drawn from three generators. The drinking water is obtained from a lake and from snow. The station receives supplies and material from planes landing on the runway of the Chilean Presidente Eduardo Frei base 2.5 km away and by ship. The ships anchor twice per season at an anchorage 2 km away.
The nearest port is Punta Arenas , around 1000 km away.
- Geodesy / Cartography (since 1990)
- geomagnetic observations (since 1985)
- Glaciology - continental (since 1992)
- Glaciology - Sea Ice Zone (since 1992)
- Human Biology (since 1992)
- Ionospheric / polar light observations (since 1985)
- Limnology (since 1986)
- meteorological observations (since 1985)
- coastal marine biology (since 1990)
- coastal geology / geophysics (since 1986)
- Seismology (since 1985)
- Terrestrial Biology (since 1992)
- Tide measurements (since 1986)
- Official site of the Polar Research Institute of China (English)
- Official site of the Chinese Arctic and Antarctic Administration (English)
- COMNAP Antarctic Facilities ( Memento of August 7, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) (English)
- COMNAP Antarctic Facilities Map (English)
- http://www.comnap.aq/comnap/comnap.nsf/P/StationsByName/CNgrea ( Memento from September 28, 2005 in the Internet Archive )
- Experience report of a visit to the station ( Memento from November 6, 2005 in the Internet Archive )