Herb Patten (* 1943 in Orbost , Victoria ) is an Elder of Koori , painter and one of the best musicians of the Australian gumleaf . Gumleaf (rubber leaf) is an Aboriginal music in which a eucalyptus leaf is held to the lips and sounds are produced by puffs of air. He graduated from RMIT University with a Master of Arts by Research in 2007 .
Patten comes from the Aborigines of the Yorta Yorta and Wiradjuri . When asked, Herb Patten said that his first name is of German origin and that he came to music, especially the music of the gumleaf, because of his diverse origins.
He taught himself this music at the age of eight after hearing it from his great-uncle. Since then he has become a passionate musician who wrote a book with Robin Ryan, Roseina Boston about the history of this musical genre in Australia. According to him, the gumleaf music style was very popular in Australia between 1920 and 1940. Patten himself wrote a book How to play the Gumleaf with 40 pieces of music on a CD, which was published in 1999 and a music album Born an Aussie Son he brought out in 2002. Herb Patten played at Aboriginal Advancement League events . He performed in Hong Kong and at the Edinburgh Festival in Scotland and danced spontaneously during his musical performances.
It ranked second in popularity among television audiences on the television program Australia's Got Talent broadcast in Australia .
- Presentation of the gumleaft technique . Retrieved June 9, 2010
- Herb Patten on rmit.com.au . Retrieved June 10, 2010
- Michelle Rayner: Herb Patten from May 1, 2004 on allegromusic.com.au ( memento of the original from July 20, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. . Retrieved June 10, 2010
- Herb Patten on nienor.net ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. . Retrieved June 10, 2010
- Herbert Patten on starnewsgroup.com.au ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. . Retrieved June 9, 2010
- Gerry Bloustien: Musical Visions: Selected Conference Proceedings from 6th National Australian / New Zealand IASPM an Inauguaral Arnhem Land Performence Conference. 127. Adelaide, Australia 1966. ISBN 1862545006 Online on Google Books
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Patten, Herbert|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Australian musician, gumleaf music|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Orbost , Victoria|