The Internet portal IGeL-Monitor provides health information. It has been evaluating individual health services at the doctor's (IGeL) since 2012 . The work is carried out according to scientific standards. The initiator and client is the medical service of the National Association of Health Insurance Funds (MDS) .
The IGeL-Monitor is a project of the Medical Service of the Central Association of Health Insurance Funds (MDS). The content of the project is supported by external scientists. The IGeL-Monitor project is assigned to the Evidence-Based Medicine area of the MDS. The MDS is financed by the National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Funds ( GKV-Spitzenverband ).
The task of the IGeL monitor is to provide health information about IGeL so that the insured can make an informed decision at the doctor's. The IGeL-Monitor assessed 50 achievements (as of October 2018). The reviews:
- positive: 0
- tends to be positive: 3
- unclear: 20
- tend to be negative: 21
- negative: 4
- in revision: 1
- replaced by a new rating: 1
In addition, the IGeL-Monitor examined the handling of IGeL and the frequency of offered and requested IGeL in surveys. The two most frequently mentioned IGeL ( intraocular pressure measurement for glaucoma early detection and ultrasound of the ovaries for early cancer detection) are not recommended by the medical professional associations and are rated by the IGeL monitor as "tending to be negative" and "negative".
The IGeL-Monitor is also co-editor of the guideline Good Practice Health Information .
The IGeL-Monitor evaluates the most relevant, frequently used IGeL. The assessments follow the scientific standard of evidence-based medicine (EbM). After a systematic search in medical databases and study evaluation, the benefits and risks of an IGeL service are presented and weighed against each other.
Criticism comes from representatives of the medical profession. The President of the German Medical Association, Frank Ulrich Montgomery , said in 2015: "The most problematic are the apparently purely politically motivated selection of the assessed IGeL and the criteria that are not communicated by which IGeL are selected for evaluation." Christian Albring, board member of the leading association of specialists in Germany eV (Spifa), spoke in 2017 of "doctor bashing" and in 2018 he criticized the fact that the health insurance companies had created an instrument of the medical service with the IGeL monitor that often discredited these modern "individual health services" in public. Medical specialist associations also sometimes react critically to individual evaluations. National media repeatedly pick up the pros and cons.
- ↑ IGeL Report 2018: Individual health services are rarely useful , rp-online, May 3, 2018
- ↑ IGeL-Report 2018, survey of insured persons of the MDS / IGeL-Monitor (short report)
- ↑ Good Practice Health Information 2016, list of signatories
- ↑ IGeL monitor, “How we work”, selection of topics
- ↑ IGeL monitor, assessment principles
- ↑ Press release of the German Medical Association of February 26, 2015, "BÄK offers patients and doctors reliable information on how to deal with hedgehogs correctly"
- ↑ Spifa criticizes the verdicts of the IGeL Monitor, February 22, 2017, Professional Association for Orthopedics and Trauma Surgery (BVOU)
- ↑ According to MDS, IGeL services do not comply with medical recommendations , Ärzteblatt, May 3, 2018
- ↑ IGeL: The Top Ten in Check, September 13, 2018, Doctors Community Coliquio ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ↑ Jan Schweitzer: And that should help me? Not all promises in the health market are made to serve the patient. Often it is about business. , Die Zeit 37/2018, September 5, 2018
- ↑ Do you need expensive additional medical services? Comment from Felix Hütten, Süddeutsche Zeitung , February 26, 2017