Laugavegur (trekking path)
Geography and course
It lies in the municipal areas of Rangárþing ytra and Rangárþing eystra and leads from Landmannalaugar to Þórsmörk . Its total length is 54 km and at its highest point it reaches 1050 m at Hrafntinnusker . You could extend the tour over the Fimmvörðuháls pass to the coast to Skógar - there you walk over the cooled lava of Eyjafjallajökull , which erupted in May 2010.
The possible starting and ending points Landmannalaugar , Þórsmörk and Skógar can be easily reached by bus from Reykjavík in summer . The hike takes four days (possibly one more day over the Fimmvörðuháls pass ) and is well signposted. On the way there are huts with fully equipped kitchens at a distance from day tours, but these are usually fully booked in high summer. Food must be taken with you, but the kitchen in the huts can be used. Camping is possible at the huts and only allowed there. You are requested to stick to the marked path and to protect the vegetation.
About the name
- Tour route at Outdooractive
Details about Laugavegur on the website of the Isl. Hiking Club Ferðafélag Íslands
- Maps for the individual daily stages - Icelandic hiking club Ferðafélag Íslands, (Icelandic):
- Landmannalaugar - Hrafntinnusker http://www.fi.is/gonguleidir/laugavegurinn/landmannalaugar---hrafntinnusker/
- Hrafntinnusker - Álftavatn http://www.fi.is/gonguleidir/laugavegurinn/hrafntinnusker---alftavatn/
- Álftavatn - Emstrur http://www.fi.is/gonguleidir/laugavegurinn/alftavatn---emstrur/
- Emstrur - Þórsmörk http://www.fi.is/gonguleidir/laugavegurinn/emstrur---thorsmork/