Munich digitization center
The Munich Digitization Center (MDZ) is a facility for the digitization , online publication and long-term archiving of the holdings of the Bavarian State Library and other memory organizations . It has existed since 1997 and is under the direction of Markus Brantl. Organizationally, it is assigned to the inventory building and indexing department of the Bavarian State Library.
The MDZ has three main focuses:
- The retro- digitization of collections from the holdings of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek and its cooperation partners, digitization orders from individuals and / or corporations as well as digitization for reasons of preservation and / or security.
- The indexing and publication of electronic documents in the context of the digital collections of the Bavarian State Library. The MDZ also provides technical support for the establishment and maintenance of so-called virtual specialist libraries and looks after the culture portal Bayerische Landesbibliothek Online .
- Long-term archiving and provision of all electronic documents in the Bavarian State Library.
The MDZ cooperates with numerous scientific institutions and facilities. To date, more than 80 projects have been carried out. These counted and count among many others
- the digitization of the titles of the VD 16 ( VD 16 digital ), the incunabula collection of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, important compilations such as the large complete universal lexicon of all sciences and arts , the general German biography and the new German biography , the libretto collection of the library or the Monuments of German music art , 1st episode
- the creation of the CodIcon Online manuscript index
- the public private partnership with Google or
- the establishment of the Bavarian State Library Online and the Virtual Library of Musicology (ViFaMusik), today musiconn, portal of the specialist information service for musicology
- the establishment of bavarikon , the Internet portal of the Free State of Bavaria for the presentation of art, culture and knowledge from institutions in Bavaria
The digital copies managed by the MDZ are made available via the digital collections of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek. Over 2.5 million titles are currently available online (as of January 2020). This means that around 70 percent of the copyright-free holdings of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek are freely accessible on the Internet
- Official website
- Chronicle of the MDZ
- Bavarian State Library Online
- Portal of the specialist information service for musicology
- Peter Schnitzlein: Digitization as a central task: Bayerische Staatsbibliothek puts 2.5 millionth digitized item online. In: press release. Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, November 12, 2019, accessed on January 3, 2020 .