|Seat||New York City , United States|
|management||Henry A. Fernandez, CEO|
|Number of employees||3,038|
|As of December 31, 2017|
MSCI Inc. (formerly Morgan Stanley Capital International and MSCI Barra ) is a New York City- based US financial services company that provides financial services primarily for investment banking . In addition to international stock indices, this also includes portfolio and risk analyzes as well as research .
In 1968 Capital International published the first global stock indices. These were licensed by Morgan Stanley in 1986 and published under the name Morgan Stanley Capital International. In 1998, MSCI Inc. was founded by Morgan Stanley and Capital International. In 2004, Barra was acquired by MSCI. MSCI was listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 2007 . In 2009, Morgan Stanley completely separated from MSCI. In 2010, MSCI bought Riskmetrics and Measurisk. In 2012 IPD Investment Property Databank was acquired.
MSCI publishes a large number of different stock indices, which are composed according to different criteria, for example according to country or region and according to the market capitalization of stocks ( large cap , mid cap , small cap ) or according to social sustainability ( socially responsible investing) and also according to ecological Sustainability (Environmental, Social & Governance). They are used by many investment funds and private investors as a benchmark for the development of the return on a portfolio , or index funds are invested on them.
Another important criterion is a country's level of economic development: industrialized countries (developed markets) are differentiated from emerging countries (emerging markets) and developing countries (frontier markets) . Usually several of these criteria are used, for example, for the important MSCI World Index, both the level of development (only industrialized countries) and the market capitalization (only large and mid-cap stocks).
The best-known indices from MSCI are:
- MSCI World : global index with stocks from 23 industrialized countries
- MSCI USA: stocks of companies based in the United States
- MSCI Europe: stocks from 15 European industrialized countries
- MSCI Emerging Markets : stocks from 26 emerging markets
- MSCI ACWI (All Country World Index): stocks from the 49 countries of the MSCI World and MSCI Emerging Markets
- MSCI EAFE (Europe, Australasia, Far East): the industrialized countries from the MSCI World excluding North America (Canada, USA)
- ↑ a b MSCI 2017 Form 10-K Report ( Memento of the original from June 24, 2018 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed June 24, 2018
- ↑ MSCI. Retrieved June 21, 2018 .
- ↑ http://www.msci.com/products/indices/country_and_regional/dm/