Marcel van der Linden
Marcel Marius van der Linden (* 1952 ) is a Dutch historian . He is Research Director at the International Institute for Social History and Professor of the History of Social Movements at the University of Amsterdam .
After receiving his Abitur in 1971, van der Linden began studying astrophysics at the University of Utrecht. In the second semester there was a change to the social science faculty there. Van der Linden is one of the co-founders of the Utrecht Socialist Sociological Association, which from 1973 was partly in contact with the International Communist League, the Dutch section of the Fourth International . Van der Linden became the author of De Internationale magazine and the monthly Klassenstrijd magazine.
In 1978 he finished his studies in sociology. From then on he worked as a teacher in the field of economics, but turned to his doctorate after three years.
From October 1983 he was employed by the International Institute for Social History (IISG). There he worked for the publication organ International Review of Social History . In 1987 he became its editor in charge.
In 1997 Van der Linden was appointed Professor of History of Social Movements at the University of Amsterdam. From 2001 to 2014 Linden held the position of Research Director of the IISG.
Marcel van der Linden conducts research on the history of the European and global labor movement and has coined the concept of "Global Labor History" since the 1990s - a paradigm that both traditional labor movement research and the "New Labor History" of the 1960s around a global and want to broaden the transnational perspective.
From 2005 to 2010 he was the first president of the International Social History Association, founded on July 8, 2005 in Sydney and based in Amsterdam. In 2009 van der Linden received the Rene 'Kuczinsky Prize of the International Conference of Labor and Social History (ITH). In July 2014 he received the u. a. Awarded the Bochum Historian Prize awarded by the Ruhr University Bochum .
The University of Oslo awarded him an honorary doctorate in 2008.
- as an author (in English)
- Transnational Labor History. Exploration. Ashgate, Aldershot 2003. ISBN 0-7546-3085-4
- Workers of the World. Essays toward a Global Labor History (= Studies in global social history, 1) Brill, Leiden 2008. ISBN 978-90-04-16683-7
- Western Marxism and the Soviet Union. A Survey of Critical Theories and Debates since 1917. Haymarket, Chicago 2009. ISBN 978-1-931859-69-1
- as an author (in German)
- Socialisme ou barbarie . A French revolutionary group 1945–1965. bahoe books, Vienna 2013 (first English, 1997, full text )
- Workers of the World. A global history of work . Campus Verlag, Frankfurt 2017 ISBN 978-3-593-43548-0
- Essays (in German)
- Enthusiasm for war and mental preparation for war. Interdisciplinary studies (= contributions to political science. Vol. 61). Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1991, ISBN 3-428-07130-1 .
- Global Labor History , in: Year Book for Research on the History of the Labor Movement , Issue I / 2010.
- as editor (in German)
- (with Karl Heinz Roth ) Beyond Marx. Work history and concept of work in the confrontation with the global working conditions of the 21st century. Association A, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-935936-80-4 .
- Cross-border workers' history. Concepts and explorations. 45th Linz Conference of the “International Conference of Labor and Social History”, 10. – 13. September 2009. Academic VA, Leipzig 2010, ISBN 978-3-931982-68-3 .
- Marcel van der Linden on the website of the International Institute for Social History
- Special edition 9/2012 of the magazine "Sozial.Geschichte Online" for the 60th birthday of Marcel van der Linden (with bibliography)
- For an introduction to the concept in German, cf. Marcel van der Linden: Global Labor History , in: Year Book for Research on the History of the Labor Movement , Issue I / 2010.
|SURNAME||Linden, Marcel van der|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Linden, Marcel Marius van der|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Dutch historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1952|