Maria Theresa of Austria-Este (1817–1886)
Maria Theresia Beatrice Gaëtane of Austria-Este (* July 14, 1817 in Modena , † March 25, 1886 in Gorizia ) was an Archduchess of Austria-Este and Princess of Modena and, by marriage, Duchess of Bordeaux and Countess of Chambord.
Maria Theresa was the eldest daughter of Duke Franz IV of Modena (1779–1846) from his marriage to Maria Beatrix (1792–1840), daughter of King Victor Emmanuel I of Sardinia .
She married the Bourbon Henri d'Artois (1820-1883) on November 16, 1846 in Bruck an der Mur , whom the legitimists had proclaimed King of France in 1830 as "Henry V" and who had the title of Duke of Bordeaux and Count of Chambord led, favoring the latter. The couple lived in exile at Schloss Frohsdorf or in Venice. In 1871, the couple officially renounced restitution from the French monarchy.
Maria Theresa's uncle Maximilian Joseph made her his universal heiress. In addition to 1.7 million guilders, the Mitterberg and Puchheim palaces were also part of the heritage . Maria Theresa had the latter rebuilt and set up a girls' school there. She cared for her brother Ferdinand during his typhoid fever until his death.
Maria Theresa's marriage remained childless and with the death of her husband the main Bourbon line died out. Maria Theresa spent her widowhood in her exile, the Palazzo of Count Lantieri in Gorizia, where she also died. She was buried next to her husband in the crypt of the Franciscan monastery of Castagnavizza . Maria Theresa was the bearer of the Star Cross .
- Klaus Malettke : The Bourbons. Volume 3: From Louis XVIII. up to Louis Philippe. 1814-1848. W. Kohlhammer Verlag, Stuttgart 2009, ISBN 978-3-17-020584-0 , p. 210
- Johann N. Stöger: Maximilian, Archduke of Austria-Este, high and German master. A picture of life. L. Mayer, Vienna 1865, p. 462ff.
- ↑ Dieter Albrecht: Europa im Umbruch 1750-1850 , Oldenbourg Wissenschaftsverlag, 1995, p. 134
- ↑ Ulrich Gasser: The Priestly Convent of the Teutonic Order , publ. Wiss. Archive, 1973, p. 147
- ↑ Miscellen the latest foreign literature , Bran, 1850, p 294 Digitalisat
- ↑ Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Kaiserthumes Österreich , 1868, p. 110 digitized
|SURNAME||Maria Theresa of Austria-Este|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Maria Theresia Beatrice Gaëtane; Maria Therese; Maria Theresa|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Duchess of Bordeaux, Countess of Chambord|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 14, 1817|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Modena|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 25, 1886|
|Place of death||Gorizia|