Vance started her career in the 1980s with the television series The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo , a comedy series. During her time in television, she began creating costumes for films such as the teenage films I Believe, I'm Standing in the Forest (1982), The Breakfast Club (1985), Ferris Makes Blue (1986), the crime film The Untouchables - Die Unbrechlichen (1987) and the romantic comedy Pretty Woman (1990) and was able to make a name for itself in this respect.
1988 she was nominated for an Oscar in the category "Best Costume Design" for the criminal drama film The Untouchables - The Untouchables ( The Untouchables ) with Kevin Costner and Sean Connery in the lead roles. However, the Oscar went to James Acheson and the epic film The Last Emperor ( The Last Emperor ). Vance was also nominated for a BAFTA Award with the film , as well as in 1990 with Pretty Woman . For her work in the science fiction adventure Rocketeer , Vance won a Saturn Award in 1992 , and in 2000 she was nominated for her costumes in the comic book version Mystery Men .
Vance not only made a name for herself as a costume designer, she also produced films. Her first production was Pentagram - The Power of Evil (1990), which was followed by Judgment Night (1993), Getaway (1994) and Timecop (1994).
Vance, nee Marilyn Kaye , was married to Kenny Vance , a founding member of Jay & the Americans singing group . The couple has sons Ladd Vance, now a film producer, and Gregg Vance, now an actor, producer and writer. Vance, who works as a costume designer in Hollywood, was called Marilyn Straker, Marilyn Vance-Straker, Marilyn Kay Vance and Marilyn Vance.
- as a costume designer
- 1980: Sheriff Lobo ( The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo )
- 1982: I think I'm standing in the woods ( Fast Times at Ridgemont High )
- 1982: only 48 hours ( 48 Hrs. )
- 1984: The Hunt for the Green Diamond ( Romancing the Stone )
- 1985: The Breakfast Club ( The Breakfast Club )
- 1986: Pretty in Pink
- 1986: Ferris goes blue ( Ferris Bueller's Day Off )
- 1987: The Untouchables ( The Untouchables )
- 1987: Throw mom off the train! ( Throw Momma from the Train )
- 1988: Die Hard ( Die Hard )
- 1989: Alone with Uncle Buck ( Uncle Buck )
- 1990: Pretty Woman
- 1990: Die Hard 2 ( Die Hard 2: Die Harder )
- 1991: Hudson Hawk - The Master Thief ( Hudson Hawk )
- 1991: Rocketeer ( The Rocketeer )
- 1992: Die Herbstzeitlosen ( Used People )
- 1993: Sommersby
- 1999: Mystery Men
- 2008: Men Are Pigs ( My Best Friend's Girl )
- as a producer
- 1990: Pentagram - The power of evil ( The First Power )
- 1993: Judgment Night ( Judgment Night )
- 1994: Getaway ( The Getaway )
- 1994: Timecop
- 1994: Erotic Confessions (TV series)
- 1995: Nosferatu - Vampiric Passion ( Embrace of the Vampire )
- 1996-2000 Pacific Blue - The Beach Police (TV series, 101 episodes)
- 2008: Unknown Sender (TV series, 6 episodes)
- 1988 : Oscar nomination for The Untouchables
- 1988: Nomination for the BAFTA Award with The Untouchables - Die Unbrechlichen
- 1991: Nomination for the BAFTA Award with Pretty Woman
- 1992: Winner of the Saturn Award with Rocketeer
- 2000: Nomination for the Saturn Award with Mystery Men
- 2009: Winner of the Costume Designers Guild Awards for Film
- 2014: Nomination for the Costume Designers Guild Awards with Bonnie and Clyde
- 2014: Nomination for the OFTA Television Award in the series Lizzie Borden Took to Ax
- Marilyn Vance on dressing the Brat Pack at dazeddigital.com (English). Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- Happy Birthday, Pretty Woman at elle.com (English). Retrieved February 7, 2015.
- Kenny Vance at broadwayworld.com. Retrieved February 7, 2015.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Kay, Marilyn; Straker, Marilyn; Vance-Straker, Marilyn; Vance, Marilyn Kay|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American costume designer, film producer, and filmmaker|
|DATE OF BIRTH||20th century|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||United States|