A machine frame is the sum of all load-bearing parts of a machine or a complex machine element (e.g. a gear ). In particular, it supports the moving machine parts such as shafts , wheels , slides and levers via bearings . Housing-forming sheets are often attached to it. In the case of a closed construction, it performs the housing function directly, as is the case with gear drives, for example (see adjacent picture).
Machine frames should have the following features:
- high flexural and torsional rigidity to absorb the operating forces,
- good accessibility for operation and assembly / repair,
- ergonomic design for fatigue-free and accident-proof operation,
- attractive shape ( design ).
- Der Neue Brockhaus , FA Brockhaus, Wiesbaden 1974, ISBN 3-7653-0025-X , 2nd volume, p. 380