Minor seas are seas that are separated from the respective main sea by island chains or sea ridges or that are cut off by mainland parts or peninsulas . Nebenmeer is a generic term for marginal seas , inland seas and Mediterranean seas .
Types of secondary seas
- Marginal seas are secondary seas that lie on the edge of the continents and are only incompletely delimited from the free ocean: by islands and wide-meshed island chains or by sea ridges .
- Inland seas are secondary seas that are only connected to the ocean or another sea by a narrow strait (sea strait ) where the opposite bank can be seen with the naked eye. Sometimes the term is restricted to seas that are surrounded by only one continent.
- Mediterranean seas lie between continents.
- Duden online names the only criterion under inland sea : "[largely] enclosed by the mainland".
- Ernst Neef (Ed.): The face of the earth . 6th edition. VEB FA Brockhaus, Leipzig, p. 496 (first edition: 1956).