New Guanjiao Tunnel
New Guanjiao Tunnel
新 关 角 隧道
Portal of the new Guanjiao tunnel
|traffic connection||Lhasa Railway|
|Number of tubes||2|
|Largest coverage||900 m|
The New Guanjiao Tunnel ( Chinese 新 关 角 隧道 , Pinyin Xīn Guānjĭao Suìdào ) is a railway tunnel on the Lhasa Railway between Xining and Golmud . The tunnel, located in Qinghai Province , opened in 2014 and, with a length of 32,650 meters, is the longest railway tunnel in the Chinese railway network and one of the longest tunnels in the world .
The previously used, northern bypass of the Guanjiao Mountain overcame a 300 meter high incline with numerous switchbacks and loops. The journey time was four hours, and the line was single-track, so that train traffic from the opposite direction was obstructed. On the steep stretch, three diesel locomotives had to be used in front of each train. Below the summit was the old Guanjiao Tunnel, which was four kilometers long.
Construction of the new tunnel began in 2007; completion was originally planned for 2012. The construction was divided into different lots, with a large part of the work being carried out by China Railway Construction . Tunnel boring machines as well as drilling and blasting were used during construction . During the construction period, an average advance of 420 meters per month was achieved. Various German machines were also involved in the construction.
The location of the construction site in a remote region at 3,380 meters above sea level caused difficulties. Due to the lower air pressure , oxygen devices were made available for the workers . The low temperatures, which are below 0 ° C on an annual average, also had to be taken into account. The tunnel was cut on April 15, 2014 .
The new Guanjiao Tunnel has two single-track tubes 40 meters apart, which allow passage at a speed of 160 km / h. The new base tunnel shortens the travel time to 20 minutes. The tunnel is ventilated by natural winds from the direction of Golmud.
- Zhenhua Chen, Kingsley E. Haynes: Chinese Railways in the Era of High-Speed. Emerald Group, Bingley 2015, ISBN 978-1-78441-985-1 , p. 104.
- Putzmeister Concrete Pumps GmbH: Concrete wet spraying in 32 km long high mountain tunnels. Putzmeister Concrete Pumps website, accessed on March 11, 2016.
- Guanjiao Tunnel. (No longer available online.) In: english.crcc.cn. Archived from the original on March 11, 2016 ; accessed on March 11, 2016 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Tunnel breakthrough in the world's longest railway tunnel. In: german.china.org.cn. Retrieved March 11, 2016 .
- Zhengmao Cao, Qixin Yang, Chun Guo: Natural Ventilation of a High-Altitude Super-Long Railway Tunnel. Retrieved March 11, 2016.