Niels Nielsen (mathematician)
Niels Nielsen (born December 2, 1865 in Ørslev on Fyn , † September 16, 1931 in Copenhagen ) was a Danish mathematician , mathematics historian and university professor . He was mainly concerned with special functions , especially the gamma function .
Nielsen studied at the University of Copenhagen from 1885 , completed his studies in 1891 as a Magister scientiarum and received his doctorate there in 1895 ( Om en klasse bestemte integral og nogle derved definerede semi-periodic function ). From 1887 he also worked as a teacher in high schools. In 1905 he became a university lecturer and in 1909 as the successor to Julius Petersen professor at the University of Copenhagen. From 1910 to 1917 he was President of the Danish Mathematical Society .
His monographs published in German in 1904 and 1906, Handbuch der Theorie der Cylinderfunktion and Handbuch der Theorie der Gammaffunktion , which summarized his specialty and twenty years of his own research, were widely used, as was the monograph Theory of the Integral Logarithm and Related Transcendants , published in 1906 .
- Om en klasse bestemte integral og nogle derved defined semi-periodic function (over a class of certain integrals and some semi-periodic functions defined with them). J. Møller, 1895 (Danish; dissertation)
- Handbook of the theory of cylinder functions . BG Teubner, Leipzig 1904 ( archive.org )
- Handbook of the theory of the gamma function . BG Teubner, Leipzig 1906 ( archive.org , archive.org , archive.org )
- Theory of the logarithm and related transcendants . BG Teubner, Leipzig 1906 ( archive.org , at Cornell University )
- Euler's dilogarithm and its generalizations . E. Karras, 1909. In: Nova Acta Leopoldina , 90, 1909, pp. 121–212 ( yearbook report )
- Infinite series textbook. Lectures held at the University of Copenhagen . BG Teubner, Leipzig 1909 ( archive.org , at Cornell University )
- Mathematics in Denmark. Bidrag til en bibliografisk-historisk oversigt (Mathematics in Denmark. Contributions to a bibliographical-historical overview), 2 volumes 1801–1908 and 1528–1800 , Gyldendalske Boghandel Nordisk Forlag, København & Kristiania 1910 1912 (Danish)
- Elements of function theory. Lectures given at the University of Copenhagen , BG Teubner, Leipzig 1911 ( at Cornell University )
- Traité élémentaire des nombres de Bernoulli , Gauthier-Villars, Paris 1923 (French; Gallica )
- Franske matematikere under revolutionen , Bianco Lunos Bogtrykkeri, 1927 (Danish; with 76 mathematicians biographies); Géomètres français sous la révolution , Levin & Munksgaard, 1929 (French translation; yearbook report )
- Niels Erik Nørlund (Ed.): Géomètres français du dix-huitième siècle , Levin & Munksgaard, 1935 (French; with 153 mathematicians biographies; yearbook report )
- Harald Bohr : Niels Nielsen December 2, 1865 - September 16, 1931 (obituary). In: Matematisk Tidsskrift B, 1931, pp. 41–45 (Danish; with picture)
- Thøger Bang: Niels Nielsen 1865-1931 . In: Matematisk Tidsskrift , 13, 1965, pp. 121–122 (Danish)
- H. Oettel: Nielsen, Niels . In: Complete Dictionary of Scientific Biography , Encyclopedia.com, 2008 (English)
- John J. O'Connor, Edmund F. Robertson : Niels Nielsen (mathematician). In: MacTutor History of Mathematics archive .
- HG Zeuthen : Nielsen, Niels . In: Carl Frederik Bricka (Ed.): Dansk biografisk Lexikon. Tillige omfattende Norge for Tidsrummet 1537-1814. 1st edition. tape 12 : Münch – Peirup . Gyldendalske Boghandels Forlag, Copenhagen 1898, p. 267 (Danish, runeberg.org ).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Danish mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 2, 1865|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ørslev|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 16, 1931|
|Place of death||Copenhagen|