In contrast to localities, localities are not administrative units . In addition, the term location can also designate a location in the location (e.g. “in a central location”).
In Austria , a distinction is officially made according to size:
- Village : closed place with ten or more buildings
- Single courtyard , single house, solitude , single layer: 1 or 2 neighboring buildings
- Rotte : several buildings in a loose arrangement regardless of the number
- Hamlet : 3 to 9 buildings in closer proximity
- Scattered Houses : Buildings that are scattered over a large area, regardless of their number
- Federal Agency for Cartography and Geodesy (Ed.): Specialized dictionary of terms and definitions in German surveying with English and French equivalents . Quote