Pat R. Mooney (* 1947 ) is a Canadian development worker and technology critic .
Until 2002, Mooney worked at the organization Rural Advancement Fund International (RAFI) on the socio-economic influences of modern technologies on rural communities. Since 2001, the group has been working under the name ETC Group (Action Group on Erosion, Technology and Concentration) on nutrition-related questions of technology assessment with offices in Canada, USA, Mexico and Great Britain and cooperation partners all over the world.
His current research area is the technological consequences of nanotechnology .
- 1985: Right Livelihood Award , together with Cary Fowler
- 1998: Pearson Peace Medal , for his dedication to conserving genetic resources in third world agriculture
- Seeds of the Earth. A private or public resource? Food First Books, p. L. 1979, ISBN 0-88801-493-7 (German: Saat-Multis und Weltthunger. How corporations plunder the world's food treasures. Rowohlt, Reinbek bei Hamburg 1981, ISBN 3-499-14731-9 ).
- (with Cary Fowler): Shattering: Food, Politics, and the Loss of Genetic Diversity. University of Arizona Press, Tucson AZ 1990, ISBN 0-8165-1181-0 (German: The seeds of hunger. How we destroy the foundations of our diet. Rowohlt, Reinbek bei Hamburg 1991, ISBN 3-499-12987-6 ) .
- (with Armin Reller ): Nanotechnology. Departure into the unknown. Oekom-Verlag, Munich 2006, ISBN 3-86581-050-0 .
- Next BANG! How the risky game with mega-technologies threatens our very existence. Edited by Niclas Hällström. Oekom-Verlag, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-86581-212-4 .
- (with Lili Fuhr): Technology Assessment. Tricks or Treaties? Bits & Trees 2018. The conference for digitization and sustainability. Available online at: https://media.ccc.de/v/bub2018-364-technology_assessment_tricks_or_treaties ( CCC video portal )
- (with Lili Fuhr and Marek Tuszynski): Efficiency & Madness in the Technosphere. Working towards an informed and constructive civil society critique of technofixes. Bits & Trees 2018. The conference for digitization and sustainability. Available online at: https://media.ccc.de/v/bub2018-96-efficiency_madness_in_the_technosphere ( CCC video portal )
- Literature by and about Pat Mooney in the catalog of the German National Library
- Pat Mooney on the ETC Group website
- “We are 35 years behind” - Pat Mooney in an interview with klimaretter.info , February 12, 2010, accessed on June 23, 2014
- Cary Fowler and Pat Mooney - Awarding of the Alternative Nobel Prize 1985 (PDF, 338 kB)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Mooney, Pat Roy|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Canadian development worker and technology critic|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1947|