Peter Debruge was born in Los Angeles but grew up in Waco, Texas. He attended the University of Texas at Austin, where he studied film and worked as the entertainment editor for The Daily Texan . After graduating summa cum laude in film studies , he moved to New York, where he worked for Entertainment Weekly and AOL Moviefone for four years before moving to Los Angeles.
He has been with Variety since 2005 and is now chief film critic. This activity included a two-year stay in Paris, where he concentrated on reporting on international film festivals, for which he was awarded the Prix Alliance Française and a Belgian Palme d'Or. Debruge was a member of the jury at the South by Southwest Film Festival , the Reykjavik Film Festival , Annecy and Cannes .
In 2017 he founded the "Animation Is Film Festival" in Los Angeles. As a freelancer, Debruge has reviewed for the Austin Chronicle , Miami Herald, and Fort Worth Star-Telegram . His reviews have also been featured in publications such as Backstory , IndieWire , Creative Screenwriting, and Life Magazine . He also published an article in Variety's The Movie That Changed My Life book . For four years he taught a film course at Chapman University's Dodge College .
- Peter Debruge in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Peter Debruge at Variety (English)
- Overview reviews by Peter Debruge at Rotten Tomatoes
- Peter Debruge. In. lafca.net. Retrieved April 13, 2020.
- Peter Debruge. In: Variety. Retrieved April 13, 2020.
- National Society of Film Critics: Members. In: nationalsocietyoffilmcritics.com. Retrieved April 13, 2020.
- Members. In: fipresci.org. Retrieved April 13, 2020.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American film critic|
|DATE OF BIRTH||20th century|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Los Angeles , United States|