Republic Pictures was an American independent film production company. It was founded on March 29, 1935 by Herbert Yates ; it was formed from a merger of Mascot Pictures Corporation , Monogram Pictures , Liberty Pictures , Chesterfield Pictures and Invincible Pictures.
Of the small Hollywood film studios, Republic was one of the longest-running and most successful. In the majority, adventurous materials, including numerous westerns, were produced. Often they were B-films that were produced cheaply , but Republic also made some films that became part of film history. They co-produced many of John Ford's films and worked with directors such as Orson Welles ( Macbeth - The Kingslayer ), Fritz Lang ( The Death House on the River ) and Nicholas Ray ( Johnny Guitar - When Women Hate) together. The company fell in 1959 to industrialist Victor M. Carter , who stopped film production.
The Studio Sound Department (Republic SSD) was nominated for an Oscar in the category Best Sound in 1936 with the film 1,000 Dollars a Minute . In addition, Alberto Colombo , who belongs to the Studio Music Department (Republic SMD), was nominated in 1938 in the category of best film music for the film Portia on Trial .
- 1935: 1,000 dollars a minute
- 1936: Undersea Kingdom (Unga Khan - the Lord of Atlantis)
- 1937: Hit the Saddle
- 1937: Manhattan Merry-Go-Round
- 1938: Storm Over Bengal
- 1938: Under Western Stars
- 1939: Revenge for the Alamo (Man of Conquest)
- 1941: Adventures of Captain Marvel
- 1941: Ice-Capades
- 1941: The Devil Pays Off
- 1943: Hit Parade of 1943
- 1948: Legacy of the Executioner (Moonrise)
- 1948: Macbeth - The Kingslayer (Macbeth)
- 1950: House by the River (House by the River)
- 1952: The winner (The Quiet Man)
- 1955: Johnny Guitar - When Women Hate (Johnny Guitar)
- 1956: Duel at the Apache Pass (Thunder Over Arizona)
- Jack Mathis: Valley of the Cliffhangers . Jack Mathis Advertising, 1975. Supplementary volume : Jack Mathis Advertising, 1995, ISBN 0-9632878-1-8 .
- Jack Mathis: Republic Confidential . 2 volumes (the planned final volume Volume 3: The Films has not been published). Volume 1: The Studio , Jack Mathis Advertising, 1999, ISBN 0-9632878-2-6 . Volume 2: The Players , Jack Mathis Advertising, 1992, ISBN 0-9632878-0-X .
- Len D. Martin: The Republic Pictures Checklist: Features, Serials, Cartoons, Short Subjects and Training Films of Republic Pictures Corporation, 1935-1959 . 2nd edition. McFarland, Jefferson 2006, ISBN 0-7864-2740-X .
- Richard M. Hurst: Republic Studios: Beyond Poverty Row and the Majors . Updated edition. Scarecrow Press, Lanham 2007, ISBN 0-8108-5886-X .
- Republic Pictures in the Internet Movie Database (English)