Robert Clifford Gunning (born November 27, 1931 in Longmont , Colorado ) is an American mathematician who deals with complex analysis .
Live and act
Robert Gunning studied at the University of Colorado (Bachelor 1952) and Princeton University , where he received his master’s degree in 1953 and his doctorate under Salomon Bochner in 1955 ( A classification of factors of automorphy ). He was then at the University of Chicago and from 1956 Higgins Lecturer at Princeton University. In 1957 he became an assistant professor there, an associate professor in 1962 and a professor in 1966. From 1989 to 1995 he was Dean of the Mathematics Faculty. He was visiting professor in São Paulo (1958), Cambridge (1959/60), Munich (1967), Oxford (1968), Boulder (1970), Los Angeles (1972).
Gunning is known as the author of several textbooks on complex analysis.
From 1958 to 1961 he was a Sloan Research Fellow . In 2003 he received the Princeton University Prize for Excellence in Teaching. At times he was editor of Princeton University Press and its Annals of Mathematical Studies. He also published the collected essays of his teacher Salomon Bochner . In 1970 he was invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Nice ( Some multivariable problems arising from Riemann surfaces ). He is a fellow of the American Mathematical Society .
Richard S. Hamilton , Yum-Tong Siu, and Sheldon Katz are among his PhD students .
- Introduction to holomorphic functions of several variables . 3 volumes, Wadsworth and Brooks / Cole, 1990.
- with Hugo Rossi Analytic functions of several complex variables . Prentice Hall 1965.
- Riemann Surfaces and Generalized Theta Functions . Springer, Results of Mathematics and its Frontier Areas, 1976.
- Lectures on Vector Bundles over Riemann Surfaces . Princeton University Press 1967.
- Lectures on Riemann Surfaces . Princeton University Press 1966.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Gunning, Robert Clifford|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 27, 1931|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Longmont , Colorado|