The Salish Sea ( English ) or, because of the Canadian bilingualism, also Mer des Salish ( French ) and in German also the Sali Sea has been the official name for the sea area between Vancouver Island and the US state of Washington since 2009 . These are the Juan de Fuca Strait , the Strait of Georgia and the Puget Sound , although their names remain in use.
In the USA the name has been used in official documents and maps for a long time, in Canada since the end of 2009. In addition to the regional associations of the coastal Salish , Indian groups that live in the region, the marine biologist Bert Webber was the driving force behind the introduction this overarching name.
In August 2009, the BC Geographical Names Office approved a recommendation to the Geographical Names Board of Canada . The name was endorsed by the Washington State Board on Geographic Names in late October 2009. He was followed by the United States Board on Geographic Names on November 12, 2009.
In the northwest of the American continent , mountain ranges stretch from California up to Washington State and on to Canada. The bay of the Salian Sea extends in the middle, a fjordland in which killer whales , grizzly bears and hummingbirds find a habitat on fjords , glaciers and in the rainforests . Steller's sea lions and giant Pacific octopuses live in the Seattle harbor basin , while black bears live in the north of the area . The Olympic National Park is known for its temperate rainforest. At Puget Sound , killer whales stay in the bay year-round.
- Sheila Harrington, Judi Stevenson (Eds.): Islands in the Salish Sea: A Community Atlas , Surrey 2005, 2nd ed. 2007.
- Andrew Scott: The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names: A Complete Reference to Coastal British Columbia . Harbor Publishing, Madeira Park, BC October 2009, p. 217-218 (English).
- Salish Sea . In: BC Geographical Names (English)
- Salish Sea ( English, French ) In: The Canadian Encyclopedia .
- A Gathering of Coast Salish Peoples. Western Washington Tribes and British Columbia First Nations of the Salish Sea
- America's fjords - Among killer whales and black bears - film by Florian Graner
- The Sound and the Sea , Paulo Pietropaulo, The Current , CBC Radio, November 2, 2009
- Washington state adopts “Salish Sea” name for body of water including Strait of Georgia , in: Georgia Straight , October 30, 2009
- State Board on Geographic Names approves 'Salish Sea'. Puget Sound, Strait of Juan de Fuca and Georgia Strait names not affected ( Memento of October 30, 2013 in the Internet Archive ), archive.org, October 30, 2009.