Samuel Moreno Rojas
Moreno's parents are former Congressman Samuel Moreno Díaz and former presidential candidate María Eugenia Rojas. His grandfather, General Gustavo Rojas Pinilla, was President of Colombia after the coup on June 13, 1953. His brother Iván was Mayor of Bucaramanga , Minister and Senator. Moreno is married to Cristina González and has two sons, Mateo and Samuel.
Moreno studied law and economics at the University of Rosario. He graduated from Harvard with a master's degree in public administration.
From 1982 Moreno became active in the ANAPO , the party founded by his grandfather and at that time led by his mother. Between 1982 and 1985 he was the party's youth coordinator and between 1985 and 1987 he was the coordinator of the Bogotá district. From 1987 to 2003 he was national coordinator of ANAPO. At the same time he was campaign manager for the presidential candidates Virgilio Barco (1986) and César Gaviria (1990), the mayoral campaign of Bogotá from his mother (1988). From 1991 he was elected Senator with re-elections in 1994, 1998 and 2002.
Mayor of Bogotá
In the elections of October 28, 2007, Samuel Moreno Rojas received 43.7% of the vote, while for the former mayor Enrique Peñalosa only 28.2% of the population voted. On January 1, 2008, Moreno's tenure began.
In March 2011, he was removed from his post as mayor for poor administration and corruption and arrested five months later. In March 2016, a judge in Bogotá sentenced him to 18 years in prison and lifelong loss of eligibility for public office for taking bribes in the award of construction contracts. The public prosecutor's office announced that it would appeal to obtain an increase in sentences. She had pleaded for a 24-year prison term.
- Website of Samuel Moreno Rojas as Mayor (Spanish, English)
- Page no longer available , search in web archives: Samuel Moreno Rojas on the PDA pages ) (
- Program of Samuel Moreno Rojas as Mayor of Bogotá
- Page no longer available , search in web archives: Biography Samuel Moreno Rojas ) (
- Emblemática condena por corrupción contra Samuel Moreno Rojas. Juez le impuso 18 años de cárcel y lo inhabilitó de por vida para ejercer cargos públicos . In: El Tiempo , March 29, 2016.
- Jürgen Vogt: From the guerrilla to the town hall. In: the daily newspaper . November 1, 2011, accessed November 3, 2011 .
|SURNAME||Moreno Rojas, Samuel|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Moreno Rojas, Samuel Gustavo (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Colombian politician and lawyer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 11, 1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Miami|