In contrast to most other public libraries, in particular state, university and school libraries, in city libraries, in addition to non-fiction and specialist literature, entertainment is also very pronounced. In addition to the task of making books or magazines available for their citizens to borrow , city libraries often increasingly collect regional or city-related works (see regional library ). Another focus of the work in city libraries is promoting reading for children and young people. The offer is often rounded off by an attached cafeteria .
Foreign-language literature is also often to be found, albeit mostly to a small extent. Many city libraries have also developed beyond the print media of books and magazines / newspapers by offering e-books, films (e.g. on video cassettes or DVD videos ), games or CDs and CD-ROMs into media libraries .
Occasionally, city libraries only lend their works to their own citizens in order to allow the mostly scarce resources to be passed on to them only, which is particularly controversial in the case of satellite cities or municipalities, whose citizens also participate in urban life with their purchasing power. A compromise is reached when there is a regulation regarding the county or the region.
A special form of the city library are mobile libraries that drive to individual parts of the city at fixed times or act as a replacement for a city library in rural areas.
Public library tasks
- Media for education and training and work
- free access to information
- Entertainment and recreational media
- Promotion of information and media skills
- Place of local culture
- Learning location
- Place of encounter and communication
In Denmark, the public library also has an important role in the integration of immigrants and the inclusion for the disabled. Danish municipalities are legally obliged to operate a public library that ensures the supply of special target groups, in particular children, migrants and the disabled.
- Forum library and information
- German libraries online
- INFOs about the closure of libraries
- Library index
- Digital library: Overview of cities that offer digital lending (e.g. of e-books)
- Erwin Miedtke: E-media in libraries http://www.bibliotheksverband.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Kommissions/Kom_ErwBest/2012_Miedtke_ebooksK%C3%B6ln24.2.12.pdf