life and work
Stefan Seeger studied chemistry at the University of Heidelberg and the Technical University of Berlin . He received his doctorate from the University of Heidelberg in 1992. He also studied business administration at the FernUniversität Hagen . From 1992 he set up a research group for biophysical chemistry at Heidelberg University. After a research stay at the University of Lund (Sweden) he returned to the University of Heidelberg in 1994 and completed his habilitation in 1997. In 1997 he was appointed professor for biosensors at the University of Regensburg . In 1999 he accepted a position at the University of Zurich, where he was appointed full professor of physical chemistry and in 2001 director of the Physico-Chemical Institute.
Stefan Seeger and his working group developed the Supercritical Angle Fluorescence Microscopy method as well as silicone nanofilaments , nanostructures on surfaces that have superhydrophobic, superoleophobic properties. He also developed methods for manipulating biological materials. Stefan Seeger has published well over a hundred scientific papers to date. He also founded technology companies such as B. Molecular Machines & Industries AG, a leading manufacturer of laser optical systems for pathology, biotechnology and pharmacy.
Stefan Seeger founded the business chemistry course at the University of Zurich for the first time in Switzerland , a course that conveys chemical and economic know-how in one degree.
Stefan Seeger is a member of the Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker , the Swiss Chemical Society , the American Chemical Society , the Optical Society of America, a member of the board of the Paul Karrer Foundation founded by the Nobel Prize winner Paul Karrer and Vice President of the University's Foundation for Scientific Research Zurich. He is also a member of the editorial boards of the Journal of Business Chemistry and Advances in Physical Chemistry .
Stefan Seeger's development of the silicone nanofilaments was selected in 2010 among the 100 most important innovations of the last few years and exhibited in the innovation pavilion during the World Expo 2010 in Shanghai.
Important publications (selection)
- with Jörg Enderlein and Thomas Ruckstuhl: Highly Efficient Optical Detection of Surface-Generated Fluorescence. In: Applied Optics. Vol. 38, No. 4, 1999, doi : 10.1364 / AO.38.000724 . , pp. 724-732,
- with Thomas Ruckstuhl and Michael Rankl: Highly sensitive biosensing using a Supercritical Angle Fluorescence (SAF) instrument. In: Biosensors & Bioelectronics . Vol. 18, No. 9, 2003, , pp. 1193-1199, doi : 10.1016 / S0956-5663 (02) 00239-7 .
- with Qiang Li and Thomas Ruckstuhl: Deep-UV Laser-based Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging Microscopy of Single Molecules. In: The Journal of Physical Chemistry. B. Vol. 108, No. 24, 2004, doi : 10.1021 / jp0375160 . , pp. 8324-8329,
- with Thomas Ruckstuhl: Attoliter detection volumes by confocal total-internal-reflection fluorescence microscopy. In: Optics Letters. Vol. 29, No. 6, 2004, doi : 10.1364 / OL.29.000569 . , pp. 569-571,
- with Qiang Li: Label free detection of single protein molecules using deep UV fluorescence lifetime microscopy. In: Analytical Chemistry. Vol. 78, No. 8, 2006, doi : 10.1021 / ac052166u . , pp. 2732-2737,
- with GRJ Artus, S. Jung, J. Zimmermann, H.-P. Gautschi and K. Marquardt: Silicone Nanofilaments and their Application as Superhydrophobic Coating. In: Advanced Materials . Vol. 18, No. 20, 2006, , pp. 2758-2762, doi : 10.1002 / adma.200502030 .
- with Marco Nonella: Investigating Alanine-Silica Interaction by Means of First-Principles Molecular-Dynamics Simulations. In: ChemPhysChem. Vol. 9, No. 3, 2008, doi : 10.1002 / cphc.200700546 . , pp. 414-421,
- Erbach (Odenwald) according to Kürschner's German Scholars Calendar Online.
- Swiss television video portal ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German chemist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 11, 1962|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Michelstadt|