Thomas Alan Shippey
Thomas Alan Shippey (born September 9, 1943 in Calcutta , British India ), also "Tom Shippey", is a British Anglic and Scandinavian Medievalist . Shippey is Professor Emeritus of Old English Language and Literature in the English Department at Saint Louis University .
In addition to works on teaching and research on Old English literature , Shippey published in particular on the work of JRR Tolkien as well as on modern fantasy and science fiction . He is widely regarded as one of the leading Tolkien researchers.
Shippey's life and work often intersect with that of Tolkien; like him he went to King Edward's School in Birmingham and taught Old English at Oxford University . He also held Tolkien's former professor at Leeds University .
Under the pseudonym "Tom Allen" he wrote two stories that were published in anthologies by Peter Weston. First, the fantasy story King, Dragon in Andromeda 2 was published in 1977; then in 1978 the science fiction novella Not Absolute in Andromeda 3 .
In 2000 he received the World Fantasy Award for JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century .
In 2009 he wrote a 21-page academic introduction to Flights of Eagles , a collection of the works of James Blish .
In addition to his self-written books, he also edited The Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories and The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories . In 2003 he was the editor of the journal Studies in Medievalism . He is also on the editorial board of Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review .
- Old English Verses. Hutchinson's, London: 1972.
- Poems of Wisdom and Learning in Old English. DS Brewer, Ltd., Cambridge 1976; 2nd edition, 1977.
- Beowulf. in the series: Arnold's Studies in English Literature. London 1978.
- The Road to Middle-earth . Allen & Unwin, London 1982 (Houghton Mifflin, Boston 1983); 2nd edition (Harper Collins, London 1993), also revised and expanded edition (Houghton Mifflin, Boston 2003); German The way to Middle Earth , translated from the English by Helmut W. Pesch . Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart 2008, ISBN 978-3-608-93601-8 .
- JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century. Harper Collins, London: 2000 (Houghton Mifflin, Boston 2001); German JRR Tolkien. Author of the Century. from the English by Wolfgang Krege . Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart 2002, ISBN 3-608-93432-4 .
- Roots and Branches: Selected Papers on Tolkien (= Cormarë series 11). Walking Tree Publishers, Zurich and Bern 2007, ISBN 978-3-905703-05-4 .
- Literature by and about Tom A. Shippey in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography and reviews of works by Tom Shippey at perlentaucher.de
- Tom Shippey in the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (English)
- Shippey, Thomas A. Publications in the bibliographic database of the Regesta Imperii .
- TA Shippey, Ph.D. official website at Saint Louis University (slu.edu)
- Tom Shippey in The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction (sf-encyclopedia.com)
- Tom Shippey at Ardapedia
- William G. Contento: Index to Science Fiction Anthologies and Collections . Retrieved February 25, 2011.
- James Blish : Flights of Eagles. Selected fiction of James Blish . 1st edition. NESFA Press, Framingham, MA 2009, ISBN 978-1-886778-86-3 .
|SURNAME||Shippey, Thomas Alan|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Shippey, Tom; Holm, John (pseudonym); Allen, Tom (pseudonym)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British medievalist and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 9, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Calcutta , British India|