Turnpike Lane (London Underground)
Turnpike Lane is a London Underground station in the London Borough of Haringey . It is located in the Travelcard tariff zone 3, at the intersection of the main streets Turnpike Lane, High Road, Westbury Avenue and Green Lanes. In 2013, 10.29 million passengers used this station served by the Piccadilly Line .
The station opened on September 19, 1932, when the Piccadilly Line was extended from Finsbury Park north to Arnos Grove . Due to the terrorist attacks on July 7, 2005 , the station was closed for a few weeks; it reopened on August 4th.
The station building, designed by Charles Holden , is a well-preserved example of the modernist architectural style used by London Transport in the 1930s. The counter hall is located in a brick- built cube of enormous dimensions. The windows on the towering walls are arranged in such a way that natural daylight extends almost down to the platforms. In the late afternoon, light reflections can be observed like in the transept of a cathedral. The building has been a listed building ( Grade II ) since 1994 . The station is, as Turnham Green , in the Song Junkie Doll by Mark Knopfler mentioned that on his album Sailing to Philadelphia has been released.
A larger bus station is directly attached to the entrance hall, with connections to 16 day lines and two night lines for bus traffic. In 1968 the entire facility was roofed over. When the system was renewed in the late 1990s, the roof structure was dismantled and a small roof in the style of the underground station was installed over the waiting area.
In the future, the station is to be expanded to include a further section for the Cross Rail 2 trains. In May 2013 the current plans were published, which also include the train station on Turnpike Lane.
- 2013 annual entries and exits. (Excel, 228 kB) Transport for London, 2014, accessed on July 27, 2014 (English).
- Piccadilly Line. Clive's Underground Line Guides, accessed January 26, 2013 .
- Turnpike Lane London Regional Transport Underground station. In: National heritage list of England. National Heritage, accessed January 26, 2013 .
- Text by Junkie Doll on lyricsfreak.com
- Crossrail 2 consultation opens . In: BBC News , May 14, 2013. Archived from the original on June 9, 2013.
|Previous station||Transport for London||Next station|
|Manor House||Wood Green|