Vajiko Chachkhiani (* 1985 in Tbilisi , Georgia ) is a Georgian artist whose works primarily include films , sculptures , photographs and extensive installations . He lives and works in Berlin and Tbilisi.
In his work, Chachkhiani explores existential questions - life and the culture of remembrance, which for him are directly linked. Apparently familiar is retold but subtly broken, often through unexpected artistic settings. At the Venice Biennale 2017 he showed a typical Georgian wooden hut, acquired in the mining town of Chiatura, which he filled with furniture and objects from everyday life. Inside the hut, however, it was raining and moss was slowly developing - so what was visible was a reversal from outside and inside. The title "A Living Dog in the Midst of Dead Lions" alludes to the exhibition location Venice with the symbol of the lion, the audience as dead lions are excluded there. In 2018 in the Bonn Art and Exhibition Hall of the Federal Republic of Germany he showed the disturbing story of an extended family in the film "Heavy Metal Honey", which begins with a harmless meeting and then turns into the surreal when the mother with an army pistol takes the family members one after the other directs. While in the end everyone is sitting at the table unscathed.
Solo exhibitions (selection)
- 2014 Both , Museum of Contemporary Art, Siegen
- 2017 Living Dog Among Dead Lions , Georgian Pavilion at the 57th Venice Biennale, Italy
- 2018 Winter Which Was Not There , Turku Art Museum, Finland
- 2018 Heavy Metal Honey, Bundeskunsthalle , Bonn
- 2018 Flies bite, Its going to rain, Yarat contemporary art center, Baku, Azerbaijan
- 2019 film , Berlinische Galerie , Berlin
Group exhibitions (selection)
- 2018 Germany Is Not An Island - Contemporary Art Collection of the Federal Republic of Germany, Acquisitions 2012–2016 , Bundeskunsthalle, Bonn, Germany
- 2018 A good neighbor, Pinakothek der Moderne, Munich, in cooperation with Istanbul Biennale
- 2018 Crumbling down, up and up we climb, Yarat Contemporary Art Center, Baku, Azerbaijan
- 2018 Art Prize of Böttcherstraße , Kunsthalle Bremen
- 2012 BINZ39 Artist Residency, Zurich
- 2013 DAAD scholarship
- 2014 7th Rubens Promotional Award, Museum of Contemporary Art, Siegen
- 2015 Working grant, Art Fund Foundation, Bonn
- 2016 Yarat Contemporary Art Center, Residency Program, Baku, Azerbaijan
- 2016 ISCP Residency Program, New York, USA
- 2017 Future Generation Art Prize 2017 of the PinchukArtCentre, Ukraine
- 2019 Villa Aurora, Los Angeles scholarship in the field of fine arts
- Vajiko Chachkhiani: Heavy Metal Honey. In: www.bundeskunsthalle.de. Retrieved July 5, 2018 .
- Georgian Pavilion. In: www.kunstforum.de. Retrieved July 5, 2018 .
- Silke Hohmann: Venice Biennale Faust and Freedom. In: www.monopol-magazin.de. Retrieved July 4, 2018 .
- K Zupan-Rupp: A Living Dog in the Midst of Dead Lions. In: www.mgk-siegen.de. Retrieved July 4, 2018 .
- Thomas Kleemann: When mother becomes a killer - works by Vajiko Chachkhiani in the Bundeskunsthalle in Bonn. In: www.general-anzeiger-bonn.de. Retrieved July 4, 2018 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Georgian artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1985|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Tbilisi , Georgia|