Live and act
Kristl studied at the Art Academy in Zagreb from 1942 to 1949. From 1950 he worked as a freelance painter and poet. In February / March 1953 he presented abstract pictures in an exhibition by the EXAT-51 group in Zagreb. He then went to Western Europe, and from 1954 to 1959 he lived in Chile.
From 1959 he was back in Yugoslavia, where he exhibited his works and made his first cartoons. When his first real-life film The General and the Serious Man was confiscated, Kristl left Yugoslavia in 1963 and settled in Munich.
Kristl was considered an "anarchist of the fantasy". His experimental films, sometimes real, sometimes cartoons, consisted of shots without any relation to one another, the relationships only arose through editing and editing. Kristl was always good for surprises. For example, he himself destroyed his own short film Moles as part of a film happening after the screening . Although the films have received multiple awards, they have only met with limited audience interest.
From 1975 onwards, Kristl mainly turned to painting and in 1977 developed a "video theater". Since 1979 he has taught at the Hamburg University of Fine Arts .
With his wife Jelena he had the children Madeleine (* 1966) and Pepe Stephan (* 1968).
Literature by Vlado Kristl
- Businesses that don't exist. Ed. Längfeld, Munich 1966.
- Comedies. Kinema Verlag, Berlin 1968.
- Mouth machine. UnVerlag, Munich 1969.
- Forewords, in: Journal for unusable texts Munich 1970/1971.
- Application for funding for a film. (1971)
- Second films. Edition Suhrkamp, Frankfurt 1971.
- Culture of anarchy. Municipal cinema, Frankfurt 1975.
- Illicit beauty. In: Filmkritik , issue 233, May 1976
- Video theater. Friends of the Deutsche Kinemathek , Berlin 1977.
- Body of injustice. SAU-Verlag, Munich 1979.
- Hamburg 1980. Michael Kellner publishing house, Hamburg 1980.
- Revolution 1941–1980 , Volume I, 1st and 2nd edition, Hamburg 1980.
- Tourist booklet or the happiness of being among the imaginary. Hamburg 1981. (SV)
- Making techniques of art. Kiel 1981 (SV).
- Title and dignity. Michael Kellner Publishing House, Hamburg 1983.
- Drawing. 1.-DM publishing house, Hamburg 1984.
- Revolution II. Volume, with attached Volume I. 1.-DM publishing house, Hamburg 1984.
- When you were still alive for personal reasons. 1.-DM Verlag, Hamburg 1986.
- The postmodern. 1.-DM publishing house, Hamburg 1987.
- The intelligence. House Höchster Schlossplatz 1, Höchst 1990.
- The sun. House Höchster Schlossplatz 1, Höchst 1990.
- The autodidact who has learned, graduated and obtained his doctorate. Saarländisches Künstlerhaus, Saarbrücken 1996.
- Still - still nothing. Letters and drawings. (Edited by Wolfgang Jacobsen ). Verbrecher Verlag, Berlin 2015, ISBN 978-3-95732-079-7 .
- 1962: Main prize for Don Qichotte as best animated film at the Oberhausen Short Film Festival
- 1964: Prix Radio-Telévision Belge for Madeleine, Madeleine at the Knokke Experimental Film Festival
- 1964: Main prize at the Oberhausen Short Film Festival for Madeleine, Madeleine as the best short film
- 1965: Carl Mayer script award for Der Brief
- 1966: Main prize at the Oberhausen Short Film Festival for Prometheus as the best animated film
- 1969: Film ducats at the Mannheim International Film Festival for Italian Capriccio
- 2003: Honorary Award at the Munich Film Festival
- Jörg Schöning: Vlado Kristl , in CineGraph , vol. 16 (1990), with an essay by Thomas Brandlmeier
- Christian Schulte: Vlado Kristl. The destruction of the systems. 2010, ISBN 978-3-935843-94-2 .
- Christian Schulte, Franziska Bruckner, Stefanie Schmitt, Kathrin Wojtowicz (Eds.): Vlado Kristl. The moon is a French. From the mask and Kothurn series. International contributions to theater, film and media studies , vol. 57 (2011), Böhlau Verlag, issue 3–4.
- after Die Sonne , Haus Höchster Schlossplatz 1, Höchst, 1990
- 8 numbers in total, c / o Barbara Schlottke
- by the publisher due to poor sales
- Literature by and about Vlado Kristl in the catalog of the German National Library
- Vlado Kristl in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- An obituary for Vlado Kristl
- About Vlado Kristl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcYkT2qbW6I
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German-Yugoslav film artist and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 24, 1923|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Zagreb|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 7, 2004|
|Place of death||Munich|