Acta Apostolicae Sedis
|Acta Apostolicae Sedis.
|Area of Expertise||Official publications of
the Pope and the Curia
|publishing company||Libreria Editrice Vaticana (Vatican State)|
|Sold edition||245,000 copies|
|editor||Palazzo Apostolico - Città del Vaticano|
The Acta Apostolicae Sedis ( AAS , "Official Gazette of the Apostolic See") have been the Official Journal , ie the official promulgation and publication organ of the Holy See , since 1909 . Its predecessor was from 1869 to 1908 the semi-official sheet Acta Sanctae Sedis (ASS) (“Official Journal of the Holy See”) until 1904 . The Acta are issued by the State Secretariat .
On September 29, 1908, Pope Pius X solemnly promulgated the publication of the AAS with an Apostolic Constitution . All pronouncements of the Holy See have appeared here since January 1909 , mostly in Latin. The paper was previously published annually, since 2003 monthly.
Documents published in other publications have legal force depending on the legal basis. Laws or implementing provisions promulgated in the AAS generally have universal validity. The Codex Iuris Canonici specifies:
"General ecclesiastical laws are promulgated by publication in the official publication Acta Apostolicae Sedis, unless a different promulgation method is prescribed in individual cases [...]"
The Vatican City laws and regulations in question are since 1929 in the supplement Leggi e Disposizioni dello Stato della Citta del Vaticano. Supplemento ad "Acta Apostolicae Sedis" published, such as the Basic Law of the State of Vatican City, which has been in force since 2001 .
Some of the Curia authorities have their own publication organs in which their pronouncements are published. In the 19th and in the first half of the 20th century, papal pronouncements were often reproduced in ecclesiastical official journals; at present, special series of publications are available here through the bishops' conferences.
- Heiner Grote: What does Rome announce how? A document customer for practice . Göttingen 1995, Bensheimer Hefte 76, p. 112, 124-127, ISBN 3-525-87165-1 .
- Winfried Aymans , Klaus Mörsdorf : Canon law. Textbook based on the Codex Iuris Canonici , Vol. 1: Introductory basic questions and general norms . Schöningh, Paderborn, 13th, completely revised edition 1991, ISBN 3-506-70481-8 , pp. 157f.
- Online archive of the Acta Sanctae Sedis (1865–1908)
- Online archive of the Acta Apostolicae Sedis (1909 ff.)
- List of Acta Apostolicae Sedis