Anna Barbara von Stetten
Anna Barbara von Stetten (born September 23, 1754 in Augsburg ; † February 19, 1805 there ) was a benefactor and founder of the bourgeois daughter's school. This school in Augsburg gave Protestant women access to higher education for the first time .
Anna Barbara was born as of Amman . Johann Adolf von Amman and his wife Sybilla Marianne, born in von Welser , were their parents. The father was a poor man in the tax administration and a councilor for the city of Augsburg. The family belonged to the long-established families of the Protestant patriciate of Augsburg. She was one of the " Swedish sexes ". In 1632 they were raised to the nobility by Gustav II Adolf of Sweden .
At the age of 20, in 1774, Anna Barbara married the then 51-year-old lawyer Johann Ferdinand von Stetten. Her husband died on May 4, 1777. She inherited one of the city's greatest fortunes. Until her death, she lived in seclusion as a widow in her house on Augsburger Annaplatz, today's Martin-Luther-Platz .
She used her inherited fortune primarily for the schooling of Protestant girls.
Her most important foundation was the establishment of a girls' school (today's Anna Barbara von Stettensche Institute ) and an “educational and pension institution”. For this purpose, it provided 90,000 guilders and real estate.
Von Stetten died childless. Her grave is in the Protestant cemetery in Augsburg.
- G. Baron v. Pölnitz (Hrsg.): Life pictures from the Bavarian Swabia. Volume 4, Munich 1955, p. 314 ff.
- K. Meiners: The special way to become a woman: On the influence of models on the development of higher education for girls since the 17th century. Frankfurt am Main 1982, ISBN 3-8204-7094-8 , p. 78 ff.
- M. Bregenzer: Anna Barbara von Stetten. A contribution to their foundations and their biography. In: Journal of the Historical Association for Swabia. 87th volume, Augsburg 1994, p. 143 ff.
- M. Panzer, E. Plößl: Bavarias daughters. Portraits of women from five centuries. Regensburg 1997, p. 29 ff.
- A. v. Specht: Women in Bavaria. From the Great Migration until today. Augsburg 1998, p. 282.
- H. Frei, B. Beck (Ed.): Life pictures. History and art in portraits from Swabia. Oberschönenfeld 2002, p. 17.
- Manfred Berger: Stetten, Anna Barbara v .. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 24, Bautz, Nordhausen 2005, ISBN 3-88309-247-9 , Sp. 1414-1417.
- Stetten (von Steden), merchant and patrician family in Augsburg city archive.
|SURNAME||Stetten, Anna Barbara from|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German benefactress and founder|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 23, 1754|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||augsburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 19, 1805|
|Place of death||augsburg|