Ansgar Schoppmeyer (born June 28, 1857 in Berlin ; † October 31, 1922 there ) was a German painter , book designer and typographer . He worked as a private lecturer for the history of European writing and artistic book decoration at the Royal Technical University of Berlin.
After an apprenticeship as a bookseller, which aroused his interest in writing and book decorations, Schoppmeyer studied from 1879 to 1884 at the Royal Museum of Applied Arts . He trained himself on study trips, by studying in libraries or monasteries and collections and deepened his knowledge of the techniques from earlier centuries. In 1884 he became head of a class for lettering at the Royal Museum of Decorative Arts for 18 years. At the same time he studied art history and palaeography at the University of Berlin . In 1892 he completed his habilitation as a private lecturer at the Royal Technical University of Charlottenburg , which in 1907 also awarded him the title of professor. There he taught technical typography and the history of writing. Many of his works are in the German Museum of Books and Writing in Leipzig.
In 1914 he signed the declaration of the university professors of the German Reich , which defended the First World War as a defense of German culture.
His works include drawings of fonts for type foundries or stylish monumental inscriptions for monuments, the design of title pages and book decorations in painting or pen drawings with simple or richly decorated initials and ornaments. He also produced diploma certificates with magnificent ornaments and relief gilding, as well as painted views of architecture and landscapes or coats of arms.
- Writing templates for the Decorative Arts: sixty panels . W. Schultz-Engelhard, Berlin 1895 ( digital.slub-dresden.de - published on behalf of the General Administration of the Royal Museums).
- The font in letterpress . In: Archives for the book trade . Founded by Alexander Waldow. tape 38 , booklet 8. Verlag des Deutschen Buchgewerbevereins, Leipzig 1901, p. 297-299 ( Text Archive - Internet Archive ).
- The writing in the graphic arts and crafts . In: Monthly books for graphic arts and crafts . 4th year, issues 5, 9 and 12. Flemming, Glogau 1906, p. 171-174, 267-269, 346-347 .
- Chicago Medal for an address issued by Prince Bismarck ( The address of Berlin citizens to Prince Bismarck )
- 1900 a silver medal in Paris for 10 sample plates from his miniature collection
- Arthur Woernlein: Ansgar Schoppmeyer, Schöneberg . In: Catalog of the Book Trade and Photography Exhibition in St. Louis . Poeschel & Trepte, Leipzig 1904, p. 93-95 ( Text Archive - Internet Archive - Biography).
- Ansgar Schoppmeyer's work: Monuments to medieval book illumination. In: Catalog Martin Breslauer , Berlin, Directory 49, 1932, pp. 41–42.
- Schoppmeyer, Ansgar . In: Hans Vollmer (Hrsg.): General lexicon of fine artists from antiquity to the present . Founded by Ulrich Thieme and Felix Becker . tape 30 : Scheffel – Siemerding . EA Seemann, Leipzig 1936, p. 260 .
- Ansgar Schoppmeyer at the Klingspor Museum (PDF; 37 kB)
- Glaser's Annals . tape 60 . Berlin July 15, 1907, p. 276 , Miscellaneous ( Textarchiv - Internet Archive ).
- Arthur Wörnlein: Ansgar Schoppmeyer, Schöneberg . In: Catalog of the Book Trade and Photography Exhibition in St. Louis . Poeschel & Trepte, Leipzig 1904, p. 93-95 ( Text Archive - Internet Archive - Biography).
- Art Chronicle . EA Seemann, Leipzig 1866, Sp. 466 ( Textarchiv - Internet Archive ).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German book designer and typographer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 28, 1857|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 31, 1922|
|Place of death||Berlin|