Ariel Schlesinger (born 1980 in Jerusalem ) is an Israeli artist whose conceptual focus is currently on the art form of spatial installation . In these installations he alienates everyday objects in such a way that when viewed they create unfamiliar chains of associations that are both humorous and can create a latent threat.
life and work
From 1999 to 2003 Ariel Schlesinger studied at the Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design in Jerusalem and at the School of Visual Arts in New York. He currently lives and works in Berlin. He received scholarships for stays in Germany, France, Italy and Japan. In 2012 he won the “VHV Artist of the Year” award, endowed with 25,000 euros, by the insurance group VHV for his installation A Car Full of Gas .
His room installations, also known as room interventions , consist of various everyday objects, such as a car, propane gas bottles, bicycles, lighters, pencils, paper and socks. He arranges and combines these objects in different ways and thereby alienates the usual everyday contexts of these objects, so that surprising associations can arise when looking at them. His work A Car Full of Gas , for example, consists of an old mini- type car with no people sitting in it, but two 60-liter propane gas bottles. A small flame is burning on a side window. What this arrangement means, also in connection with the origin of the artist, does not require any further explanation. Ariel Schlesinger's artistic concept is based on the creation of humorous and at the same time threatening effects.
In 2017 Ariel Schlesinger won the competition for a work of art in Frankfurt / Main, which was installed in front of the renovated and expanded Jewish museum there in September 2019. The design outlines an approximately 11-meter-high sculpture made of two trees, the crown of which is connected, with one tree rooted in the sky and the other in the earth. The cost of the work of art should be 350,000 euros and will be largely borne by the Rothschild family.
In addition to several group exhibitions, Ariel Schlesinger has had numerous solo exhibitions since 2003. First in Israel, but then also in Italy, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Slovenia and France.
- 2003: Museum of Contemporary Art , Herzlia
- 2005, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2016: Dvir Gallery , Tel-Aviv
- 2007: Galleria Klerkx , Milan
- 2008, 2010 and 2014: Galerija Gregor Podnar , Berlin and Ljubljana
- 2011: Musée du Chateau de Montbeliard , Montbéliard and Kunstverein Braunschweig
- 2012: Yvon Lambert , Paris; Sint-Lukasgalerie , Brussels and Künstlerhaus Bremen
- 2014: Kunsthaus Baselland , Muttenz (his most extensive solo exhibition to date)
- 2015: Galleria Massimo Minini , Brescia
- Ines Goldbach (Ed.): Ariel Schlesinger. Verlag Christoph Merian, Basel 2014, ISBN 978-3-85616-651-9
- ART SY website
- Ariel Schlesinger on the website of the Kunsthaus Baselland
- Ariel Schlesinger on the website of Akademie Schloss Solitude
- Article in the Hannoversche Allgemeine from December 16, 2012
- Description of his work on the occasion of the exhibition at the Kunsthaus Baselland, 2014 ( Memento of the original from May 27, 2018 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Hans Riebsamen in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung of November 29, 2017
- Report on the work of art in the newspaper Jüdische Allgemeine
- Report in the Frankfurter Rundschau
- website Artfacts
- publisher ( Memento of the original from October 8, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Israeli artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1980|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Jerusalem|